S A D and Sun Lamps or Tanning?

Anyone here experienced Seasonal Affective Disorder?

What did you do that has worked?

What has not worked?

Did tanning work?

Did the special Sun Lamps help?

my friend has SAD and the sun lamps have worked for her but she also does tanning.

whether it helps or not I don't know but after years of it she looks like leather face and it has easily made her look 10 years older.

Actually such measures aren't necessary.

A good 40-minute walk in the open air will give you all the daylight you need, even if it's cloudy.

To add to the benefits, walking is also very good for positive vibes.....

whichwayisup
Anyone here experienced Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Yes.

What did you do that has worked?

I bought a special type of lightbulb, SAD light and put it in my lamp by the computer. I use it in the morning daily for about 2 hours or so. It makes a difference this time of year. Combo that with yoga daily and walking, eating well, drinking water and resting when you need to. These upcoming months I find I need more sleep than usual.

What has not worked?

Doing nothing has not worked, so doing something, whether it be lots of exercise inside or outside the house, HAS worked for me.

Did tanning work?

I haven't tried tanning, nor do I want to.

Did the special Sun Lamps help?

Tanning in the winter works wonders for my mood. I only go about once a week so that I don't look inappropriately tan when everyone else is white. :)

However, even in the summer, if I'm bummed and I go tan, the moment I'm done I'm in a better mood.

Like others said, getting outside during the daylight is the best way to do it. If you can't because of your work schedule, then buy the SAD lamp. It filters UV rays.

Tanning is not a good option. First of all, the light does not have the right wave length, so the 'effect' you might feel would be a placebo. And then just imagine how depressed you would feel when they find that melanoma.

Like Star, I find that a little time on the sun bed helps my mood, especially in winter. Outdoors in minus 20 with windchill factor is in no way uplifting imo.

Our salon has beds where you can turn off the lamps over the facial area which is great.

• 2 weeks later...

The sun lamp works wonders for me.

I also try to tackle a major project in the fall/winter that I can emmerse myself in. This year, I'm renovating my bathroom :)

Repainting, or rearranging furniture in a room can help too, it gives a new perspective, since you're probably spending more time at home, and getting bored.