Well, if you are diabetic and you have to avoid MSG (monosodium glutamate) that would indicate to me that it can be harmful to some people. It's certainly not the greatest thing you can have in your diet.

If you want information on MacDonalds and Chinese restaurants regarding their use of MSG, a preservative and flavor enhancer, go to: http://www.magicnet.net/~btnature/

On the left of the homepage, you can click on the "eating in restaurants" tab to get the answers you want. It will tell you what has MSG and what doesn't at MacDonalds. You might want to take time to look at the other areas of the site, which I found very interesting.

Chinese Restaurants say they will leave out the MSG if you ask them...but if the food is pre-prepared as much of it is, I don't see how they can do this. You are better off just avoiding these places, I would think.

MSG and other chemicals and flavor enhancers, called excitotoxins, used in food preparation cause great damage to the body over a period of time.

You are very wise to look into this matter, even if you didn't have diabetes. All people should keep their intake of MSG and other such chemicals to a minimum. Another good thing to do is carefully wash all fruits and vegetables before eating. Pesticides often carry substances that bond the poison to the fruit and plants so it doesn't wash off in the rain and doesn't come off easily after harvesting.

People who watch what they eat carefully, read labels, and avoid yukky things in their food tend to feel a lot better and get headaches and other ailments far less frequently.