Treadmill or elliptical???

Hey,

I work out daily. I used to run 3-5 miles on the treadmill, but really dispise running, BUT I can can do 6.5 miles on an elliptical and am wondering if it matters which one to use. Should I be switching it up (I really can't stand the treadmill).

Is one better than the other?

while elliptical will blow the treadmill away as far as burning calories, it is a good idea to switch it up alittle as your body quickly adabts.

NONE... I hate exercise.. but my daughter got an epileptical :laugh: machine.. she prefers it to a threadmill..

Okay.. I actually prefer the elliptical over the treadmill..

But only because I have the tv in front of it and when I'm on the treadmill you have to look almost sideways to watch it :laugh:

• Author
while elliptical will blow the treadmill away as far as burning calories, it is a good idea to switch it up alittle as your body quickly adabts.

Well, i like to burn calories! :cool: When you say your body adapts, what do you mean? It no longer benefits from the elliptical? what if i changed up my program. On day do interval, next day do endurance, etc...?

almost famous

I like the elliptical, but I do both, also. I have read that the elliptical is better on your knees so runners who have trouble with shin splints often have a better time with the elliptical.

I prefer the elliptical as well. I feel I get a better workout and it is easier on my knees. (I'm one of the older guys around I think:eek::D)

Someone told me that you can use the elliptical but to change up your routine on it, but I do use other machines just to mix it up some even though I don't like them.

I also don't run so when I do the treadmill I just walk at 4 mph.

I figure as long as you are working out that is what counts.

Hey,

I work out daily. I used to run 3-5 miles on the treadmill, but really dispise running, BUT I can can do 6.5 miles on an elliptical and am wondering if it matters which one to use. Should I be switching it up (I really can't stand the treadmill).

Is one better than the other?

Personally, I think the elliptical is really good as long as you are using enough tension that you get your heart rate up. I've seen people on elliptical for hours reading magazines bit IMO if you can read, your not working hard enough. Just make sure you are still working hard and you will see results no matter what you do.

I find the treadmill SO boring also, I'd way rather run outside, that could be an option for you, it is also more intense because you have to move you mass across a distance, then add the elements and you will get a great workout.