How much does it hurt to get them removed at age 29? I have been having toothaches on and off for the past few weeks and I have a feeling it might be my wisdom teeth which I still have. Will my at home laid up for a few days after I have them removed or is it just some minor soreness?

It really depends on the severity of the impaction, the skill of the dental surgeon, and what therapeutics you take before and after.

This is provided your pain is indeed coming from your wisdom teeth.

I advise most people to take at least two days off work, and recommend they take arnica before and just after the surgery, which helps with the swelling.

There are lots of good over the counter anti-inflammatory pain relievers these days.

• Author

It's possible that it might not even be them because they have never bothered me until recently. I will make an appointment with the dentist today.

It's possible that it might not even be them because they have never bothered me until recently. I will make an appointment with the dentist today.

Thats your best bet- s/he will be able to ask you some specific questions about your pain and take an xray and find out what is causing it.

Wisdon teeth are most commonly the most problematic between the ages of 18-21, but if they are still present they can be a problem any time after that.

Hi Woggle,

You and I are about the same age and I had one removed last year. Of course it had fully grown in, so it was equivalent to just getting a regular tooth pulled. It was freaky to hear as they did it, and to taste the blood, but not painful. It was a bit inconvenient, but I followed all their directions and it wasn't a problem at all. My second tooth (I've only got two wisdom teeth) is still in, but didn't grow all the way in. That one will require a bit more cutting and I am also nervous about that, but I really like my new dentist. Neither of my teeth take up too much room, but the reason I have to have them out is that I can't really get the toothbrush back that far in my mouth because of my jaw, and they are starting to decay. Gross huh? Hope all goes well!

blind_otter

Wisdon teeth are most commonly the most problematic between the ages of 18-21, but if they are still present they can be a problem any time after that.

I'm an exception, I had 3 impacted wisdom teeth that only began bothering me when I was 25 (the other one just wasn't there, magically). I waited until I was 26 to get them out, it was agonizingly painful. They had to go pretty deep to get them out and my face was messed up for about a week. It hurt so bad, I thought I had dry sockets and went in to get checked out. No dry sockets, just the normal excruciating pain. Ugh.

Weirdly enough to this day I still get these random phantom pains in the very back of my jaw. I also have TMJD, so I had to take muscle relaxers and pain relievers for the strain that the surgery put on my jaw. :sick:

I'm insanely jealous of people who never had to get their wisdom teeth out.

25 yoa nephew had his last three taken out last November, only because the Army insisted. He said that they'd bug him off and on, but not in the same way the very first had, which was really hurting him and the dentist had to cut out.

this go round, one tooth came out easily because the roots didn't have time to grow deep, the remaining two took a little more work but still weren't as bad as the first time around. I think he said they gave him something for the swelling and some mild pain-killers, but he didn't have much trouble with them. But I think all of that also depends on what a person's tolerance is for pain.

an Xray will reveal just how deep the roots are, and to what extent you'll need surgery.

It really depends on how your teeth grew in. Most people I talked to had no real issues when they had their wisdom teeth extracted. Mine, however, had grown in with spiral roots, not to mention they were deeply rooted so the top roots were precariously close to my nasal cavity... I had all 4 removed at once and was on a valium drip for the surgery so I don't remember a thing about it. That's a good thing, cause I'm pretty sure I looked like the cartoon guy with the flip-top head during the surgery.

Took me a good 4 days to get close to normal funtioning, but it was due to pain in my jaw (again, due to the flip-top head) rather than the actual incision areas. Those healed up wonderfully and gave me no issues after a day or so.

A bag of shredded coconut kept in the freezer makes a great 'ice pack' in case your jaw winds up hurting like that: it's not as bumpy and hard as an actual bag of ice, plus it doesn't melt.

• Author

If they aren't the source is there any issue with not having them removed? Up until a few weeks ago I never had any problem and they seem to have grown in fine.

blind_otter
If they aren't the source is there any issue with not having them removed? Up until a few weeks ago I never had any problem and they seem to have grown in fine.

I know a few people who have their wisdom teeth and have no problems with them - my SO, my Dad was one, my Mom, my BIL. Just make sure that you are able to reach back there and floss and brush them....sometimes they can be neglected because they can be hard to reach.

• Author

Mice are very easy to reach and I can brush fine. I really don't know what is causing the tootaches.

Trialbyfire

I had four removed in my late twenties, all at the same time. Dummy that I was, I told them not to put me under. My dentist started working on my teeth and I kept feeling pain so he kept injecting the localized anaesthetic. Around 10 needles later, I stopped feeling anything, for hours.

I went to work the next day with my face puffed up, since two of them were badly impacted. Don't do what I did. Take at least another day off.

Im so glad you posted this W. Im having mine pulled on Thurs. The 1st dental work Ive ever needed. Im scared. So Ill be glad to comirerate with you.

I had all 4 (impacted under the gums) removed in my early 20s.

I fought the drowsy feeling of the medicine so they would give me more, and more, and more. I was out and don't remember a thing. The doctor did tell my family that I had an unusual high tolerance to medication :lmao:.

Arrange for a ride and help getting you into your bed after.

I was told to use tea bags instead of gauze to aid in clotting. In hindsight I would recommend decaffinated tea bags, or maybe the caffine is what helps? Or maybe the whole tea bag thing is a myth? I would feel drowsy due to the pain pills and frustrated that I could not sleep due to the tea bags.

Also, if I recall you are not supposed to use straws, because of dry socket risk. I probably had a sippy cup. :laugh: I am sure they will go over the after care with you.

I was okay after a few days and only took 2-3 pain pills.

Trialbyfire

Wish I could have taken pain pills. They prescribed Tylenol 3s. I took one and had a bad reaction. This was when it was discovered that I was allergic to codeine. Oh well, no fun for me. :mad:

Unders- tea bags can help with clotting, yes.

Woggle, if you are getting pain, you need to get it checked out- the source of the pain won't fix itself. If the wisdom teeth arent' the source, its find to leave them as long as you can keep them clean as Quankanne said.

whichwayisup
How much does it hurt to get them removed at age 29? I have been having toothaches on and off for the past few weeks and I have a feeling it might be my wisdom teeth which I still have. Will my at home laid up for a few days after I have them removed or is it just some minor soreness?

Be put out for it. Get a script of painkillers to help you afterwards.

It's different for each person. I had mine out when I was about 17 years old and it took about 2 days for me to feel better. I know someone who had theirs out last year, and it took her a week to feel normal again. Well, normal enough to be out and about with no pain.

Good luck Wog! Oh and make sure not to watch ANYTHING funny on TV. Laughing, smiling hurts like h-e-double hockey sticks!

I got four pulled out at once last year (I was 21). I did get knocked out for the procedure, but there was no pain whatsoever after. I didn't have to take any of the 30 Ocycontins I was prescribed (saved those for fun with friends instead :laugh:) or even any Tylenol, I didn't use the ice pack they gave me, and I went to a party where I happily on chips the very next night.

Could be that I have a high tolerance for pain, though. (Several other events in my life have indicated this.) Or that I had an exceptional surgeon. I think my experience was pretty unique - everyone I know has said that it sucks.

SoHotZanzibar

I had a wisdom tooth removed last year and it wasn't bad at all.

Plus, I was told I my jaw had room for more wisdom teeth (Guess I have a big mouth) and I had the biggest roots she had ever seen on a tooth.

The most annoying thing was trying to stop putting my tongue in the gap.

Oh, and I had mine removed when I was 37