luckyinlove

So I posted awhile ago about starting an excercise routine, and how quick I'd start to see results.

But, I'm looking for a little more help;

I'm a healthy weight, (5'2", 110) and I'm fairly happy with my petite body. My goal isn't to necessarily lose a ton of weight, but to sculpt my body so it's just more defined looking. I've always been in pretty good shape, but now that I've been out of school and organized sports for quite a few years my body has totally changed.

I'm looking to tone my stomach, because I've gained a little bit of a 'pouch' (which is only noticable to me i guess, but still bothersome). I'd also like to define my SUPER flabby arms (this is my worst feature, always has been), and perhaps gain some strength (I'm a weakling when it comes to my arms). The last thing I kind of want to take care of is my butt and thighs. I have a bigger butt (but my boyfriend LOVES it), so I don't necessarily want to flatten it, but would like to tighten it up a little so it isn't so jiggly haha. Same with my thighs.

I've also switched to a new birth control which I think is starting to cause a little weight gain, and I'd like to almost reverse that if possible.

Please please please, any suggestions or even site references would be Great!

I'm willing to get very devoted to a routine, but don't exactly know where to start. And again, I don't want to look bulky and muscular, just toned and defined.

Thanks! =)

M

And again, I don't want to look bulky and muscular, just toned and defined.

The average woman doesn't have enough natural testosterone to get bulky. Do weight training and up your protein intake. That will build the muscle but to really see it you need to lose the fat on top of it. It's next to impossible to do both at the same time (build muscle and lose fat).

Ditto the weight training suggestion. Strive for endurance (low weight with high repitition) rather than strength (heigh weight with low reps) training: endurance training helps build lean slow-twitch muscle (think marathon runner or dancer) versus bulky fast-twitch muscle (think sprint runner or traditional lifter).

When you get into weight training, you'll feel it's counter productive because you won't lose any actual weight, in fact, you might gain some. In reality though muscle is more dense than fat: it weighs more but takes up less space, so you'll be losing inches not pounds. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn when you exercise (not to mention you'll have a higher basal metabolic rate, too). So after 2-3 months of weight training, you'll get more benefit from fat burning cardio workouts.

Yeah, definition is basically the relation between body fat and muscularity. You can have really good muscularity and a high body fat percentage and not be able to see any definition (think old school competitive strongmen or NFL linemen). Then again you can have very poor muscularity and a very low body fat percentage and look thin/bony (think fashion model).

I'm assuming that you want some muscle tone and the ability to show it off. This requires the gym or an active lifestyle (recreational sports or a physically demanding job) and a lean diet. The exercise will give you the muscularity to have a sculpted body and the diet will allow you to see it by shedding excess body fat.

StartingOver07

Pick up a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Women (Schuler and Cosgrove). There are some really good beginner routines in there as well as sound nutrition advice.

A good site is http://www.bodybuilding.com.

wookinpanub
Ditto the weight training suggestion. Strive for endurance (low weight with high repitition) rather than strength (heigh weight with low reps) training: endurance training helps build lean slow-twitch muscle (think marathon runner or dancer) versus bulky fast-twitch muscle (think sprint runner or traditional lifter).

When you get into weight training, you'll feel it's counter productive because you won't lose any actual weight, in fact, you might gain some. In reality though muscle is more dense than fat: it weighs more but takes up less space, so you'll be losing inches not pounds. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn when you exercise (not to mention you'll have a higher basal metabolic rate, too). So after 2-3 months of weight training, you'll get more benefit from fat burning cardio workouts.

High reps/low weight does not mean definition. It means muscular endurance. Low reps/high weight doesn't exactly mean bulky either...

It's common sense. Wanna burn fat? Burn more calories/consume less calories than you need (ie. maintenance level)/than you burn. Simple. Do cardio, weight train, all of it burns calories. As for your arms/butt/stomach. You cannot spot reduce as far as fat goes. You can build muscle in particular instance (in this case, your arms) without building muscle elsewhere but fat loss is overall.

Do cardio, weight train, all of it burns calories.

Right, but building muscle requires a calorie surplus. Weight training itself doesn't build muscle, it breaks it down. It's the recovery process afterwards, along with protein in one's diet, that builds it back up.

High reps/low weight does not mean definition. It means muscular endurance. Low reps/high weight doesn't exactly mean bulky either...

I was simply saying that slow twitch muscles (aka endurance muscles aka what you work out when you have a low weight/high rep workout) tend to be less bulky. It's a pretty well documented phenomenon: google slow twitch muscle fiber for lots of information.

I'm not sure if I can post a link yet or not, but here's a pretty interesting and understandable read about the difference:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

wookinpanub
I was simply saying that slow twitch muscles (aka endurance muscles aka what you work out when you have a low weight/high rep workout) tend to be less bulky. It's a pretty well documented phenomenon: google slow twitch muscle fiber for lots of information.

I'm not sure if I can post a link yet or not, but here's a pretty interesting and understandable read about the difference:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

OK, I didn't follow exactly what you were saying so I was just trying to clarify-ish. But you're right as far as being less bulky.

And as far as building muscle while burning calories, its possible but very very very difficult. Its like clean bulking x 10.

MakeLemonade

It doesn't have to be complicated or time-consuming - pick up the TaeBo dvd, 30-40 mins, 3 or 4 times a week - the workouts are awesome, they build strength, sculpt/tone - especially the core - but absolutely the entire body. The cardiowork is built in too. They are actually fun, you don't have to go anywhere but your living room and you will see results FAST, in 3 weeks you will be like WHOA!

It just takes some discipline to do them. That is where MY issue comes in. :lmao: Good luck! ;)

sunshinegirl

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yoga yet. For me, it's been the activity that has provided the fastest payoff of any training/sport I've done in terms of toning, definition, and strength. I do 90-minute "power yoga" classes and when I go 2-3 times per week, I notice differences within 2 weeks in all the areas the OP mentioned wanting to tone.

LOVE DAISIES

I have heard people who "fidget" a lot burn a lot of calories...LOL

I have also heard yoga and Pilates is really good for toning.I would look for

a place like a Wellness Center that offers weekly classes.I am going to try a few classes myself and see if I like them.

I agree with the posters who mention yoga and pilates. Or, if you didn't do ballet as a kid, you might want to try a series of classes for adults to learn basic barre exercises. With dance exercises, provided you're disciplined in following them, you don't just tone up - you also promote suppleness and grace of movement.