I use this free site to track my eating habits and fitness. I have a daily calorie consumption goal (diet), and a weekly calorie burn goal (exercise).

I entered in my time spent actively skiing yesterday (not time spent riding lifts or relaxing at the bar! ;)), and was surprised to see that I burned nearly my entire weekly calorie burn goal in just one day! That would explain why I'm so damn tired and sore...

So here's my question... Not that I would do this, but would skiing aggressively one day (and thereby burning nearly a week's worth of calories) have the same effect on my body fat-loss-wise as doing smaller workouts throughout the week that have the same calorie expenditure but only when totaled up at the end of the week? Does that make sense?

the only thing that counts is your average calorie intake vs. your avg calorie outtake (burning). if you want to do it daily then fine, weekly is fine, monthly is fine, yearly is fine, per decade is fine. as long as your outtake is greater than the intake over whichever period of time you choose then you'll lose weight :)

Also keep in mind that when you stop exercising, there is a period of time where you're still burning more calories than at regular resting rate.

This period varies depending on the type and intensity of the exercise you did, but is one of the reasons why many small bits of exercising are better than one lump.

In effect, it's like keeping your metabolism running hot all the time. If you exercise just once a week, your metabolism will go to sleep on the off days.

• Author
Also keep in mind that when you stop exercising, there is a period of time where you're still burning more calories than at regular resting rate.

This period varies depending on the type and intensity of the exercise you did, but is one of the reasons why many small bits of exercising are better than one lump.

In effect, it's like keeping your metabolism running hot all the time. If you exercise just once a week, your metabolism will go to sleep on the off days.

I think you're right. I'm making up numbers here, but I think you're right:

For example, say I burned 1,500 calories while skiing, and that during the recovery period I also burned an additional 100 calories.

If I burn 300 calories a day doing cardio for 5 days in a week, that's the same calorie weekly expenditure as one day of skiing (1,500)... BUT I get the added bonus of an additional 100 calories per workout day during recovery, that's a total of 2,000 calories a week for working out 5 times a week, versus 1,600 calories with one day of skiing and nothing else for the week.

Plus, weekly skiing is a LOT more difficult to keep up with than working out regularly.

I guess I was just looking for justification for slacking off today and tomorrow (I'm SO SORE!). :o