Unfit and wanting to run

Feeling very low and heard running was a good way to lift my spirits. I am not overweight but I am very unfit.

Just wanted some advice from any runners on here - have had my feet properly measured - gait etc from a good shop - having forked out £80 i am ready to go!

FleshNBones

I believe the general rule is start light. Work out two or three times a week for at least two weeks. Make sure you stretch before an after, and be sure to warm up (increase muscle temperature) before stretching. Stretching should be done slowly. You should stretch to your limit and you shouldn't feel pain. Make sure you have enough protein and carbs in your diet or you will be in big trouble. You might want to time your meals.

You can get just as much exercise with cycling, and with less stress. You would experience less pain if you have flat feet.

It's important to make sure you always enjoy yourself when first starting out. Enjoying it means not overdoing it and finishing feeling like you could keep going.

I recommend a program like this:

Expect to run 3 to 4 days a week in your early weeks. No more.

Take a timer and restrict yourself to 20 to 25 minutes maximum per run for at least the first couple of weeks.

For the first 2 to 4 weeks, run/walk in intervals. So on your first couple of runs, run one minute and walk four. Then run one and walk four. Time yourself and be disciplined. Don't do more running no matter how you feel.

Then increase that to running two minutes and walking three for a few runs. Always stick to a maximum of 25 minutes. Every few runs trade a minute of walking for a minute of running until you're running the whole time.

Some days you might not feel as good, and there's no shame in backing off and walking. Just get the time in.

You should always arrive at home feeling like you could have done a lot more. Don't push yourself to keep any particular pace.

In six to eight weeks you'll be seeing a lot of changes in how you look and how you feel that will encourage you to keep doing it.

I also recommend finding dirt paths to run on, if you can. I guess the last piece of advice is pay attention to your gait. Your feet shouldn't be making a lot of noise when they hit the ground. There should be little impact for your joints to absorb. Run softly.

There are tons of books to read on this. I suggest spending some time at the book store.

First, see your doctor and be sure it's OK for you to start a rigorous exercise program. You may need to get checked out first. There's nothing worse than overdoing it if you're not in proper physical condition.

Since you are so out of shape, you should begin very slowly...running until you feel the time coming close when you will not be able to run anymore. In other words, STOP before your body gives out. This may be five minutes, ten minutes or whatever. Some people may give out after only 30 seconds or a minute of running. It really depends on your state of conditioning.

Gradually work up to where you get your heart rate where it needs to be during exercise. Your doctor can help you with this or just use Google. There is a formula and I don't remember what it is.

Make sure you get sufficient rest, that you are properly hydrated (get sufficient water or other liquids) and that you have not overeaten. Make sure you get proper nutrition with the energy required to embark on a rigorous exercise regimen.

Exercise is extremely important and there are many ways of getting it short of running. However, if running is your choice perhaps finding a buddy to run with...someone in generally the same shape as you....would be helpful and keep you motivated and interested. Running can be boring for some over time. If you can do so safely, get an MP3 player and listen to some good running music while you exercise.

If running gets boring, you can run in place...right in your own home on a mat. Jumping jacks, sit ups, and other milder exercises are a lot better than sitting in front of your computer doing nothing but pressing your eyeballs.

FleshNBones

Using a jump rope is one way to improve your cardio.

It might be a good idea to condition yourself a little before taking up running. I don't think tiring out early will be much fun

This_Too_Shall_Pass
It's important to make sure you always enjoy yourself when first starting out. Enjoying it means not overdoing it and finishing feeling like you could keep going.

I recommend a program like this:

Expect to run 3 to 4 days a week in your early weeks. No more.

Take a timer and restrict yourself to 20 to 25 minutes maximum per run for at least the first couple of weeks.

For the first 2 to 4 weeks, run/walk in intervals. So on your first couple of runs, run one minute and walk four. Then run one and walk four. Time yourself and be disciplined. Don't do more running no matter how you feel.

Then increase that to running two minutes and walking three for a few runs. Always stick to a maximum of 25 minutes. Every few runs trade a minute of walking for a minute of running until you're running the whole time.

Some days you might not feel as good, and there's no shame in backing off and walking. Just get the time in.

You should always arrive at home feeling like you could have done a lot more. Don't push yourself to keep any particular pace.

In six to eight weeks you'll be seeing a lot of changes in how you look and how you feel that will encourage you to keep doing it.

I also recommend finding dirt paths to run on, if you can. I guess the last piece of advice is pay attention to your gait. Your feet shouldn't be making a lot of noise when they hit the ground. There should be little impact for your joints to absorb. Run softly.

There are tons of books to read on this. I suggest spending some time at the book store.

That's excellent advice.

I would've taken up running, but somehow I'm happier doing a variety of stuff than just run.

I actually think the last bit of advice was really important. Once you develop the habit of running, it stays with you, particularly because you get the "runner's high". Over an extended period of time, running does tend to wear out the meniscus - the cartilage pad between your knee joints. Maintaining a soft tread is very essential, as is wearing good running shoes.

burning 4 revenge

I start in a gym on a treadmill. It gives you much more control. As a matter of fact I'd start out with interval hill walking and slowly work your way up to running two miles, then three, and so on.

Once you get to three and can do it easily Id start running outside.

Id also incorporate leg press exercises to gain lower body strength. I may do this program with you

This_Too_Shall_Pass
I start in a gym on a treadmill. It gives you much more control. As a matter of fact I'd start out with interval hill walking and slowly work your way up to running two miles, then three, and so on.

Once you get to three and can do it easily Id start running outside.

Id also incorporate leg press exercises to gain lower body strength. I may do this program with you

That is a good idea, too. Perhaps that's why I'd rather go to the gym, it gives me more options to test myself on different equipment at different levels.