Codependent: Is this hopeless or not?

I know a lady who had a son who is an alcoholic. Her son is grown but along with being an alcoholic, he refuses to work and is practically broke. He lives in the granny unit behind her house for free and she supports him. She has been doing this for a few years and he is not responsible. I talked to her about it recently and suggested to her that she is his fail-safe or fall-back and because of that he has no reason to change. I suggested to her that she kicked him out. She said that she couldn't do that because she sees the homeless people on the streets and she doesn't want to see her son become like that. I can understand that but I also can't see any other way for him to be held responsible. She said she has been to Al-Anon before (this is years in the process) and even admits that she is probably codependent, but she won't do anything about it. Is she hopeless? I've seen the show Intervention before and all the experts say the same thing.

Is she hopeless?

No. But absent change on her part, she's not helping either. By enabling, she's simply extending the width and depth of his dependence and dysfunction.

Would she go to an Al-Anon meeting if you went with her?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author

Would she go to an Al-Anon meeting if you went with her?

Unfortunately, we live too far apart.