Social Media/Internet addictions?

I think I am addicted to Facebook and Twitter. It's getting really out of hand, and I think it's because I'm so shy and introverted in real life, and I can 'write' better than I can talk. It is so much easier to feel like you're connecting with people (all over the world! It's so addictive and exciting!) online than just boring old social interactions in my small town, church, grocery store, etc.

Has anyone been able to successfully cut down on their social media use?

Tanyasinclair

I'm not sure if I'm really qualified to post here or offer any advice ^^; Especially since I'm a introverted recluse who likes to spend most of her time inside.

But.... I kinda think it's a matter of finding balance? I'm not sure if stopping anything cold turkey is the way to go, but maybe you could try doing what I did to stop being so dependent on people/social media. What I did was.... if some people were giving me too much attention or if I felt emotionally needy toward specific individuals, I did myself to distance myself from them.

I also tried to be happy doing my own thing and my own hobbies. I even started doing a lot of things I hadn't been doing for a long time and enjoying it.

I'm just.... not sure if it is some of the people who are the problem in your case, or just the social media in general, or perhaps... an unintentional fear of going outside and interacting, or potential laziness....?

I hope I didn't come across as offensive or rude ^^; I can only speak from my own personal experience really.

If all your friends on social medias of at least the majority of them are people from all around the world you've known on the Internet, yes you qualify as an Internet nerd of some sort, and I don't mean this in a bad way. It's just as it is : like you I live rural and love to spend some time online but at least I closed my FB account with over 100 ''friends'' I all knew personally.

To me the purpose of social medias is to get in touch, or reconnect with old friends you've cut ties with for some reason. Not to develop hundreds of friendship with people you don't know in real life and probably will never meet.

Even if you live rural, go to the next town, and the town after. I mean, there's always someone somewhere, and a group of real friends to make.