...and that's why you cut those people off

so i wake up yesterday morning to vague suggestions of tragedy on my gf's facebook page (which i hate, btw, it just reeks of "hey i'll zero in on someone else's misfortune to drum up some personal attention" but whatever).

come to find out this is the story...

one of her sister's childhood friends (sister is about 30) got in a phone fight with her boyfriend. this woman had 2 toddlers, boyfriend was the father i think, they'd been together a few years.

anyways, woman in question proceeds to get back at the boyfriend by getting drunk, tearing up their house and his bike, smashing the windows out of her car, and then blowing her brains out...while she was on the phone with him.

sister (obviously) ran with a pretty bad crowd when she was younger. bunch of drug addict types, alcoholics, abusers and products of abuse, etc. gf gave me the long sobbing speech about how terrible it was and how everyone was going back to the town they grew up in to help the boyfriend out with the funeral plans and the kids and what not, and call me heartless if you like, but the whole time i was thinking...

"f*ck them, that's why you don't associate with such people. that way you don't have to deal with this sh*t when they fall off in the deep end. just pretend they don't exist"

of course i can't say that to them but felt like saying it to somebody. so there ya go.

what i did say to her when she told me all that was comparable though, my initial response was "and the answer is yes, some women need drama even more than their friends, their family, their kids, and/or life itself, there you have it, my point perfectly illustrated".

the sister is ok, i get along with her and her boyfriend fine, but damn, you watch them from a distance and think..."this is why these people never stay gone from the bad scene they came from for very long, because they can't cut the people loose".

i guess that's why i never had to deal with such things, i was always the type to cut people loose or at the very least keep a more than healthy distance at the first sign of instability. i don't care if it's family, if my own mother went psycho and started acting like these people have i'd cut contact with her.

just don't get it, life is too short to deal with other people's issues, especially when, in the sister's case, you're trying to get away from those issues. don't see how that's gonna work when she goes running back to the old crowd that got her into her addictions every time there's a tragedy. i mean damn, they're all addicts, there's always gonna be a tragedy of some sort.