Blacking out

Can anyone explain to me exactly what blacking out is (from drinking alcohol)? I'm talking what is it as far as physiologically, what's going on in your brain & body?

What are the long term effects if it is repeatedly happening to your body? Why does it happen? Is it just the result of a psychological issue (depression, leading to addiction or something to that effect)?

I'm asking because when I started "partying" when I was around 19-20, I NEVER blacked out. I would get really crazy drunk at times, some mornings would be blurry, but for the most part I would always remember everything and have a pretty good recollection of the night before. I could stop myself from reaching "the point of no return."

When I was 22, I ended a long term relationship and dropped out of college, and thus started what I like to refer to now as my "mid-mid-life crisis." The summer after breaking up with him, I completely reverted from my usual responsible self and became a reckless party girl. I mean we are talking total wild child.

For 6 months straight I was not sober. Morning, noon, or night. At work or home. I went through a 5th a day. I took 5-6 shots of rum before going to the bar, where I continued to drink 5-??? TALL beers! Always at some point during the night though my memory stopped. Friends would tell me about things I had no recollection of, I had no idea how I got home, etc etc. and that whole summer my immaturity thought things like this were funny. I was completely self destructive but I was just "young and having fun" and going through a phase :rolleyes: So you can bet your ass at the end of that 6 months my body was tired.

I started this thread though because, now at 25, I have gotten my life under control since then and I don't rely on alcohol the way I used to. I don't feel like it's controlling my life like it was before... However, I've noticed that during that time period of when my drinking was very heavy I must have flipped a switch or something. There are nights now where I can have a few beers and call it quits (never could do that before), but then again, even now if I am drinking somewhat heavily and get to a certain point of drunkenness... I will drink anything and everything in sight to the very last drop even though I'm already wasted!

I just don't understand why I have this tendency now, when I never used to when I first started drinking alcohol? Does anyone have an explanation for this? I realize I should probably cut alcohol out of my life for good, and it's something I am seriously thinking about taking steps towards.

Any info/input is really appreciated!!

Edited by H0peless
Feelin Frisky

It's having a period where you have no memory of being conscious but indeed appearing conscious and very possibly walking and, god forbid, driving. It's not the same as "passing out" in which case you go immobile and unconscious. I don't know exactly what goes on in the brain but I know I have blacked out a couple of times in my younger wilder days.