Coming Down Off Codeine

I quit alcohol and almost all drugs two years ago and quit cigarettes last spring. Now I'm on my first day without codeine pills after using them for over a year and this is not pretty. I feel like someone's raking their fingernails across my spine while convinving me how worthless I am and I'm just about as sad and lonely as I've ever been. Just thought I'd tell someone.

I have the utmost admiration for people who do battle with addictions and win. Kudos to you and wishes for your continuing triumphs in these battles.

Is codeine withdrawal something you should attempt without medical help?

• Author

Well, medically I don't know the answer to that but since codeine is supposedly transformed into morphine in the brain it's likely that a doctor's help would be nice. Still it feels like something I can handle on my own right now and thanks for your words of support.

Hey there i am currently battling an on going addiction to codine aswell....scary stuff!! I haven't yet managed to get myself off them totally, just reduced the amount i take each day. I hear ya on the fack that someone is taking their fingers and raking them down your spine. There was a few times when i tried to just quit cold turkey and there was no way in hell i could do it, with the constant back ache, head ache, feeling lower then low, and not being able to sleep at night, i just couldn't take it, and still go about my daily schedule. I did talk to my councellor about my problem and she had a few suggestions that might be of some help for you.

1. She said to not just quit taking them all together, to just reduce the amount you take by one each day untill your down to zero, sort of weane yourself off of them.

2. She said the depression is normal and will only get better after the codine if fully outta your system, because in actuality it is the drug making you depressed, even though at the time you are taking them you don't feel depressed because your nothing but numb....oh yes believe me i know(thats why i started taking them in the first place)nothing bothered me, i was numb.

3. Get out and go for long walks, have hot baths, read a good book or write in a journal all your negative thoughts, i know it sounds cheesy but it really works!!

4. Try and keep track of when you want to take them the most, and what has caused you to feel like you need to take them, and then try to stay away from those type of situations, even if just for the time being.

As of right now this is all the advise i can offer you, because like i said i am still struggling with this addiction myself, i found most of these to be helpfull, and i hope that you will try some if not all of them to see if they can be of help to you, what have you got to lose?? I wish you the best of luck with this, i know how hard it is, but i think with strength and will power we will be able to through it, and be able to be happy being "high on life"

• Author

Thanks breyedgirl, it's good to know that someone understands and the depression is a heck of a lot less today, the second day. I took the advice about a long walk and it really did lift my spirits. Good luck to you too.

Originally posted by Clancy

Thanks breyedgirl, it's good to know that someone understands and the depression is a heck of a lot less today, the second day. I took the advice about a long walk and it really did lift my spirits. Good luck to you too.

Clancy - If you didn't live so far away, I'd come take a walk with you. BIG HUG! Keep up the good work.

• 1 year later...
Just Visiting

I came across this thread while doing a search on this type of addiction. My bf is currently dealing with this issue. He confessed to me about three weeks ago and I was pretty numb, I didn't know how to react. Just before he confessed, I knew something wasn't right when I kept finding empty acetaminophen & codeine pill bottles. In Canada, you are able to purchase these over the counter.

I just need to vent about this. It bothers me to find these pill bottles around. But I know that you have to wean yourself off this drug. So quitting cold turkey would be much too hard for him. He is planning on going away for a month to get clean. I have told him that I will be supportive. It is going to be very hard while he is away.

There are times when I can't help but feel angry and scared. Over a month ago, he went on the patch to quit smoking. The other evening, I was moving clothes into a different drawer and found two empty cigarette packages. I figured he was smoking while I was away on a business trip. Plus another empty pill bottle. I haven't mentioned what I found. I guess it bothers me that he would try to hide it. I am not sure if I should bring it up or not. I don't like to nag anyone. I am a non smoker and never became addicted to any sort of drug. So I don't know what it is like to be addicted to those type of things.

My boyfriend is a great person. Very loving and caring. And there are times when I want to give him hell and there are times when I feel alot of empathy. Any words or insight will be helpful...thanks.