Abuse / Abusive / Abused

HokeyReligions

HokeyReligions

I am curious what your definition of abuse, abusive, and abused is.

I keep reading posts were people talk about being abused or come from an abusive home, etc. Sometimes I get the impression that the poster is someone who is using those words to make an impression, but it isn't really abuse - it's strict parents, or an unhappy teenager who only thinks its "abuse"

I'm not targeting this at anyone in particular - it's just something that I've seen in various posts for a while and I just wonder what YOUR interpretation of abuse it.

my definition of abuse is an action (physical, verbal or psychological) that is a repetitive and ongoing one, intended to hurt or demean the recipient.

an example? A person who beats on his/her wife (physical abuse), always saying things to demean him/her (verbal/psychological abuse) and always doing it, sort of the way a stalker continuously stalks its prey.

off the top of my head, I'm thinking about the Farrah Fawcett movie, "the burning bed," where a battered woman strikes back by setting the bed where her husband (or is it lover) is sleeping, on fire.

I always think of abusive as severe physical harm or severe emotional harm to another person. Abuse leaves the victum scarred emotionally for quite some time.

My defenition of abuse is anything that leaves a scar whether its emotional,or physical and its something a person will remember cause it leaves a scar.

Patty