College student who misses high school -- what can I do?

Hi. I'm not sure where to post so feel free to move this post somewhere else if it'd be better suited there.

I am a third year college student, attending a university about one hour away from my hometown where I grew up and went to high school. The last couple years of my high school years were what I consider to be the best of my life thus far. Life was pretty simple -- just take care of my grades, and I did fine in school. I was usually doing something on weekends and often after school during the week with friends, and in my senior year I entered my first relationship, which lasted about a year (ending at the end of my first college semester). I was on the drumline and enjoyed it. During my "high school years", my social life was satisfying for me.

Once college started up, at first I felt comfortable because I was still with my girlfriend who went to the same college, and we spent a lot of time together during my first semester. However, she moved on after establishing some friends, and it wasn't really until then that I realized that in spending all this time with her, I really had not made any friends. After I "got over" the break up, I cheered up and wouldn't have considered myself "depressed" -- but at the same time I felt very... idle. I spent (and still do, to be honest) most of my time alone watching TV, using the computer, etc. For a while, it was nice after being in a relationship to take some time off, but quickly it became something that got me down on occasion.

Now, starting my third year of college, I am fairly happy from day to day, which usually consists of going to class and doing homework, which keeps me busy enough to keep my mind off of my lack of a social life. I have some friends in my hometown who I hang out with on weekends if I drive home, but I just would rather not have to drive home to prevent from being bored on weekends.

Now, the way this ties into my high school years is that I tend to get depressed when I think about high school. I miss the way things were, particularly during my senior year, and it serves as a reminder that my social life is stagnant. It's even to the point where I get awkwarly uncomfortable around people I knew from high school (those who I don't see regularly anymore, anymore) when I see them. Seeing them adjust to their surroundings in college without much trouble is hard for me to see, when I myself have struggled to really establish myself.

Is it unusual or weird that I "miss" my high school years? Is it unreasonable to expect my life to be as satisfying as it was two year ago, or is this something a lot of people experience? Should I change something I am doing now to help improve my social life or otherwise? Besides focusing on my education, what can I do to improve my college lifestyle?

Thanks to anyone who reads.

Is it unusual or weird that I "miss" my high school years?

Unusual? No, I don't think so. I think everybody misses the good things about high school. Heck, half the time, I wish I were still in college right now. BUT the past is the past and you need to look to the future and the possibilities that are ahead. Focusing too much on the past and wishing things were the way they used to be isn't going to get you very far.

Is it unreasonable to expect my life to be as satisfying as it was two year ago, or is this something a lot of people experience?

No, it's not unreasonable. My life has only gotten better since high school and since college. There have been ups and downs, but taken as a whole, I'd rather be right here, right now than back there.

Should I change something I am doing now to help improve my social life or otherwise? Besides focusing on my education, what can I do to improve my college lifestyle?

Get out and make friends! :) Talk to people in your classes. Join or form a study group. Join some clubs at school. Go for a walk in the park, to a bookstore, a cafe, etc. instead of watching TV. Then say hello to the people you see there. For some reason, I get the feeling you know you should be doing those things, but you're hesitant to do them.

College is a great opportunity to socialize. There are tons o' clubs you can join and usually activities of all kinds. Get out of your place and join in! Eventually you'll make friends who will likely turn out to be lifelong buds.