Guys in a relationship

Do you think you're wife or girlfriend is funny? Funny, as in, she makes you laugh and she tells jokes, rather than laughing at your jokes. How high would you rank a woman being funny on the list of important things you want in a woman?

Michelle ma Belle

Woman here - I have a wicked sense of humour and very quick wit. I have been complimented on it a LOT especially by men. It's often been something that works in my favor in terms of holding a man's attention and setting me apart from a lot of other women :)

• Like 2
GorillaTheater

My wife cracks me up all the time. Being funny (and thinking I'm funny) has always been a top factor for me. Besides boobs, I mean.

• Like 7
How high would you rank a woman being funny on the list of important things you want in a woman?

Just as important as "how funny" is the type of humor. My wife is wickedly subversive, and as someone who grew up with Mad magazine and National Lampoon, wouldn't have it any other way.

My DIL, wonderful person and a great Mom, doesn't have a sarcastic bone in her body. I really have to concentrate around her, it's like speaking a barely recalled foreign language.

As always, compatibility is important...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

I've dated a number of women and very few, maybe 2 or 3, were genuinely funny. But I usually expect to make her laugh than her making me laugh. Most women are more serious in my opinion.

• Like 1

Its not a deal breaker for me either way,

to put it in present context, I really have two women whom I meet on a regular basis,

Hungarian friend-mad as a hatter and I do love this - it is very easy for me to spark off her

Asian girl- dating her- quite the opposite-serious/studious type- I have to work much harder, however I am still drawn to her spiritual thoughtful nature and I do get a buzz when I can make her smile and laugh.

says she finds me funny- whether that is haha or weird I am not sure!

anyway can click with either personality type is the point.

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

Similar to "alphamale"... I can't remember any woman I dated being funny. All in all, I'm not all that funny, either.

If I wanted to laugh or thought the person I was dating was looking for a good "yuk" or two, I'd buy tickets for the local comedy club. Now, those guys and gals are funny!

• Like 2
mark clemson

My wife is quite bright and we both makes jokes that make each other laugh. I think it's important and certainly helps with keeping our marriage fun.

I think that if she's TOTALLY, TOTALLY AWESOME in other ways, then maybe a sense of humor is just a nice to have. I think for me that with most women it's essentially a must-have for the LTR. It adds an important element that, unlike appearance, doesn't fade so much over time.

• Like 1

Three things:

1. Yes my girlfriend is funny particularly when she wants to be.

2. There's a difference between being funny and having a good sense of humor. I've dated lots of women who I wouldn't say are funny but have a good sense of humor. That means I can joke around with them. Especially if they have an offbeat sense of humor.

3. It's not important at all to me for them to be funny. However it is absolutely critically important that they have a good sense of humor. I could never be in a relationship with someone who didn't have a good sense of humor.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1
Three things:

1. Yes my girlfriend is funny particularly when she wants to be.

2. There's a difference between being funny and having a good sense of humor. I've dated lots of women who I wouldn't say are funny but have a good sense of humor. That means I can joke around with them. Especially if they have an offbeat sense of humor.

3. It's not important at all to me for them to be funny. However it is absolutely critically important that they have a good sense of humor. I could never be in a relationship with someone who didn't have a good sense of humor.

Does that make sense?

yes thats a good point, a person could be very quiet but still have a good sense of humour,

very quiet with no sense of humour can be more awkward.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks guys, great answers. I was wondering how men felt about this. It's been my impression that, in general, men don't find women to be funny, so it's not something they look for in women. (Again, as someone reiterated in this thread, there is a difference between being funny and having a sense of humor, I am specifically talking about being funny).

There's a guy a know who always tells me that I'm funny and he's said that about other women he has dated in the past, as well. Clearly he thinks that's a big deal and it's kind of weird to me as it goes against everything I've ever known about men. It's weird.

I wouldn't say a partner being funny is necessarily important, but it certainly helps. Ultimately you want your partner to be someone who you can enjoy yourself with - being funny or having a compatible sense of humor is a really good way to do that.

Again, as someone reiterated in this thread, there is a difference between being funny and having a sense of humor, I am specifically talking about being funny

Well, if a woman is truly funny, some of it is going to be at your expense. Not every man has sufficient confidence to be made fun of. Many of us can dish, harder to take...

Mr. Lucky

There's a lot more to funny than jokes, l don't even know any. Well not these days.

My woman's just a classic in who she is and the things she does.

She's about as deep as the earths core, but she's also funny, l love that combo.

Just funny is to me usually shallow and l'd be bored very quickly.

Well, if a woman is truly funny, some of it is going to be at your expense. Not every man has sufficient confidence to be made fun of. Many of us can dish, harder to take...

Mr. Lucky

This is where self depreciating humour comes into it. Neither hubby or I would be called 'funny' by friends, but we constantly crack each other up laughing at things, ourselves and each other.

I did or said something dumb the other day which made him laugh. He said he needed to hug me because he loves how stupid I am. And to be clear, we laugh with each other - not at each other.

• Like 1
OatsAndHall

I can honestly say that I have been with one woman who made me laugh. She had a quick wit and dry sense of humor that I loved.

And to be clear, we laugh with each other - not at each other.

Couldn't agree more. And given all the insults, absurdities and weirdness life throws our way, hopefully we laugh early and often. Not sure how "serious" people make it through the day ;) ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

my observation has been that the better looking a woman is the worse her sense of humour.

I took a gf (yes she was very attractive) to seen the movie ELF back in 2003. It was really funny but she only laughed occasionally. When the movie was done almost everyone in the audience clapped (this rarely happens) and she couldn't figure out why they liked it so much :rolleyes:

Alpha, is that a worse sense of humour or a different sense of humour? One of my besties says the Mad Max movies are great comedies. I've never even cracked a smile in one. Actually, I'm yet to watch a whole movie of it. But I'm laughing my way through the Netflix series "Dead to Me" with hubby.

Couldn't agree more. And given all the insults, absurdities and weirdness life throws our way, hopefully we laugh early and often. Not sure how "serious" people make it through the day ;)

Indeed. I've said this before, but we laugh so much here that our parrot started to copy my laugh. I didn't realise what a goofy laugh I have till I heard the parrot do it.

I think the lack of being able to laugh at oneself points to either being humour free or terribly insecure. Neither quality I find endearing.

GorillaTheater
One of my besties says the Mad Max movies are great comedies. I've never even cracked a smile in one.

I don't know, Tina Turner as some Outback Warlord was pretty damn funny.

Alpha, is that a worse sense of humour or a different sense of humour?

more no sense of humour than anything else

Not important to me. Humor is so subjective. Never dated any funny females and would not expect to. if you think something is very funny and they don't--keep it to yourself. It cannot help and may question the rel'ship. Puns and silly jokes are usually unwanted. Some people like me loathe dark black humor.

Here's an innocent joke: Hear about the 2 TV antennas that got married?

The wedding was terrible but the reception was great.

Does the pun work?

surferchic

Woman here.

Despite my seemingly aloofness in relationships, I have a pretty quick wit and sometimes sarcastic & stoic sense of humor. Men like it and I think it helps to balance my aloofness and serious expressions. It’s like they just don’t expect me( a woman) to be funny without actually trying.

I’ve been told I’m viewed as aloof, serious and sometimes a stuck up/sexy/cool/whatever. My sense of humor has helped me out a lot where my facial expressions would just not come through. ?