Girlfriend ex or old friend moved in my neighborhood how do I handle this situation?

Me and my girlfriend been together for 3 years. We both 34. About two months ago when she was coming to my apartment building she ran into some guy from her old neighborhood leaving out of my building that she was sexually involved with years ago. He spoke and said how you doing and kept going about her business. At first when she told me about the guy she said he was some annoying guy that lived in her old neighborhood. Later on that same day she admitted that something did happen with them sexually but only one time. This happened years before we met

When she showed me the guy it wind up being the new guy that either lives in my building now or coming to see someone in my building. I’m not sure. I see the guy pretty often but not everyday. I also seen him with a baby before a few times and also seen him leaving out my building with a woman sometimes too.

Here’s where the the weird part comes into play. One day I went to the corner store and a few guys I know was in there. My girlfriend ex or whatever we going to call this guy came in the store and he happened to know one of the guys I was talking to in the store. To make a long story short we all wind up in a big conversation for about 10 minutes about random topics

A few weeks later I was coming home and I ran into the guy again that used to date my girlfriend. He spoke to me, he said what’s up and asked me how I’m doing and that’s it. Now every time he sees me he speaks. It’s just awkward because it’s someone my girlfriend had been with in the past or one night stand or whatever. I don’t know if he knows that I know him and her used to date

Here’s where it gets more weird. One day me and my girlfriend was coming in the building and we seen him. He spoke to me as usual. This was strange because I was assuming my girlfriend would ask me about me and him speaking. When we got upstairs she didn’t mention it. Instead she was laughing about some lady sitting in front of my building with a big dog.

We ran into him again another day and he spoke to me. My girlfriend still never mentioned it or asked me about it. Instead she joked about something that happened earlier in the day.

It’s been two weeks now and my girlfriend has yet to ask me about me and him speaking. It’s just a awkward situation for me. Has anyone been in this situation before where your boyfriend/ girlfriend ex or somebody who they had a one night stand with live or visiting your neighborhood? If so how did you deal with it?

Another question should I continue to speak to this guy or try to avoid him?

Now if it was the other way around I would feel odd about my girlfriend speaking to one of my ex’s or someone I had a one night stand with in the past

Given your girlfriend didn't greet the guy in your building, my guess is that he's not her ex. Perhaps they just look similar? Do you know the name of the guy in your building?

If I was in the situation where one of my partner's exes moved to the suburb, I'd just be my usual self. Greet them, chat. No reason to be weird just because they are from the partner's past.

• Author
Given your girlfriend didn't greet the guy in your building, my guess is that he's not her ex. Perhaps they just look similar? Do you know the name of the guy in your building?

If I was in the situation where one of my partner's exes moved to the suburb, I'd just be my usual self. Greet them, chat. No reason to be weird just because they are from the partner's past.

It’s the same guy. She told me herself

Ok. So if he's got a baby and a partner, it's safe to assume he's moved on and is a nice enough guy. Therefore, no reason to ignore him or give him a brush off.

• Like 1
Now if it was the other way around I would feel odd about my girlfriend speaking to one of my ex’s or someone I had a one night stand with in the past

Why? He's part of her long-ago past and, as basil pointed out, has moved on to a new life. I don't think anyone's wasting time thinking about this but you.

What's your biggest fear in the situation?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
  • Author
Why? He's part of her long-ago past and, as basil pointed out, has moved on to a new life. I don't think anyone's wasting time thinking about this but you.

What's your biggest fear in the situation?

Mr. Lucky

Do you think he might brag or tell other dudes in the neighborhood that he slept with my girlfriend in the past or one night stand or whatever

salparadise
Do you think he might brag or tell other dudes in the neighborhood that he slept with my girlfriend in the past or one night stand or whatever

It's possible of course, but the bottom line is that you're creating this anxiety all by yourself, without good reason. The only reason to worry would be if your girlfriend was getting over friendly with him. If that's not the case, chill.

• Author
It's possible of course, but the bottom line is that you're creating this anxiety all by yourself, without good reason. The only reason to worry would be if your girlfriend was getting over friendly with him. If that's not the case, chill.

Yea that’s what I’m worried about too. He might see her by herself one day and try to get over friendly

You worry too much. He's met you. He's not going to dis your girlfriend knowing it will get back to you. He probably doesn't even remember her. It was probably a one-night stand and that's probably why she has dropped the subject, because he doesn't even remember her, which is embarrassing.

You're making way too much of this. Who cares if he tells people you don't even know, I used to know that girl? Who cares? Let her handle it if it comes up.

He might see her by herself one day and try to get over friendly

So might one of the guys at her gym. Or the barista where she gets coffee. Or the person delivering packages to her workplace.

Either you trust her or you don't. His involvement is a non-issue...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Author

I bring this back up cause it been on my mind recently. My issue was why did she lie about it in the first place? Remember when I first asked her she said he was some annoying guy that used to try to get with her years ago. I didn’t believe her so I asked her that night again and that’s when she admitted that she had a one night stand with him.

I’m worried and wondering if something happened with him and her while we was together. We been together for 4 years. She moved from that old neighborhood 2 years ago.

And why hasn’t she questioned me about him and speaking to each other