Even though the answer is on the face of it obvious to most of us, I'm curious to know other people's personal opinions and experiences about this:

When and why do men give women compliments?

When and why do women give men compliments?

Including both positive reasons and negative reasons.

Female. I give a guy a compliment if I think something nice about them. "hey, that shirt looks great on you". Why? Because most people like to get positive feedback. It's about being a good friend.

Also, you didn't ask why women give other women compliments or men to men.

littleblackheart

I give compliments to men and women in the same way (I'm a woman) -

to boost confidence,

to show appreciation for something they've done or achieved,

to build up or strengthen positive interpersonal / professional connections.

For instance, I tend to compliment my children's teachers when I feel they have helped my kids in a significant way; in return, the feedback I get from them is more genuine and they get in touch straight away whenever something's up. I also feel like I can tell them straight up when there's an issue, bc they know it'll be a genuine problem.

I actually went on a management course about how important praise is to foster positive relationships in the workplace (or everywhere, really) and how the higher you get in the hierarchy, the less praise you get and will likely give in return. This struck a cord, so whenever I feel like my boss has changed something for the better (very rare, but still!) I let them know.

• Author

I find the interaction between members of the opposite sex within romantic relationships to be interesting. That is why I focused on male-female or female-male compliments in my original post.

Because we just dig the hellouta each other, we're always complimenting , just happens. But no qualms at all either disagreeing though or not liking this or that . When you openly just into each other it's not taken personally , it's a chuckle usually.

Life in general l never compliment other women. Rarely anyway, if it's someone l just really like and there's a reason , and l think she'll appreciate it, l might say something, but that's about it.

Also l learnt a long time ago anyway , it's pretty tricky complementing women. They might think your into them, it's happened, a few times, or if they're some real pretty thing she's heard it all , l'm not giving her more.

Or some even take it as a pass, it's happened a few times too.

Only a few mths back a chick in a shop that often serves me got this really cool haircut, said l love the hair, she's been weird ever since.

So when l see her now l feel like sayin ok lets cut this bullshyt, l wasn't makin a pass at you ok, l couldn't giva shyt about you. so chill the hell out.

Edited by chillii
  • Like 1

in general women compliment men less often and men compliment women more often

I complimented a friends husband to her the other day, he’s fought cancer twice since I’ve known him and each time he’s set himself a challenge at the same time, the last one was a fairly significant bridge he designed and built with others help. I told her how much I admired him for that, and how strong and amazing I think he is.

I think it’s important to tell people how you appreciate their good points. My husbands workmate call me ‘Smiley’ as he said he hasn’t seen me without a smile before, and every time he says “hey smiley” it just encourages me to smile more!

Just to be nice.

Except nowadays, I am more careful and reticent with compliments because they are taken the wrong way...with the opposite sex.

You can always tell someone M or F they look like a movie star! If they do, in fact..