6 months..then BAM. Why?

It seems like from a lot of threads I've read, in a lot of rel'ships, things will be great for 6 months. Then it hits the fan.

That's what happened in my rel'ship. 6 months of bliss..then suddenly my ex was cold and distant.

Is there something about that particular time period, that makes or breaks relationships, I wonder?

Honeymoon period / limerence.

Basically, everyone is on their best behavior and things are new and exciting. By the six month mark, that starts to fade away and you’re more comfortable with each other. Some people take the drop off in excitement as a sign things aren’t meant to be and bail. Unfortunately for them, chasing that high is a fool’s errand. Studies show that the intense, drug-like love we can feel in that first year or two will eventually give with to a more mature, stable, albeit less exhilarating love.

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly
It seems like from a lot of threads I've read, in a lot of rel'ships, things will be great for 6 months. Then it hits the fan.

That's what happened in my rel'ship. 6 months of bliss..then suddenly my ex was cold and distant.

Is there something about that particular time period, that makes or breaks relationships, I wonder?

To be fair, your ex's circumstances were exceptionally challenging, as outlined in your other thread. The timeline isn't as important as the trauma he'd experienced in his past and not yet dealt with.

In most other cases, the honeymoon phase starts to taper off around 6 months so people start to learn whether their attraction is based on true desire to be with the person, or lust.

Generally speaking, it's a combination of the rose coloured glasses coming off and the fact that people are no longer on their best behaviour.

In your most recent case, it was because he was open to dating you as a much older woman while it was fun, but knew that the age difference would make the relationship undesirable as you both got older. He was with you for a good time, not a long time.

• Like 1
He was with you for a good time, not a long time.

Can't wait til I see that in a Hallmark card :) .

sandrawg, the 6-month mark is about the time when both parties have to decide if they're going to do the work necessary to sustain the relationship, which has run on sunshine, rainbows and hormones to this point.

I was a miler on the track team in high school, and my coach used to say "after a quarter-mile, you'll start to know who wants to be in the race, and who doesn't".

Based on your history, he didn't...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

yep , takes about anything up to that long or longer to get to know a person enough for true colours and personality traits to relax and start coming out ,habits, ways, the ways you actually get along, and for the shine to wear of the new toy physically too if everything else is starting to fizzle for ya.ln the right things things will actually start growing between you even more, but if it's turning out the wrong thing for you then yeah , it would often be a turning point.

Edited by chillii