Instinct or Paranoia

How do you distinguish instinct from paranoia? In a few different relationship situations (both romantic and platonic) lately I've found myself wondering if I was being told the whole truth, or in some cases outright lied to.

I think I'm probably overly sensitive right now. Last summer I cut two different people out of my life, one a romantic partner of three years and the other a friend of 10 years or more and I'm not over the sting of betrayal and the lies involved in either. But I'm not sure I should ignore my current feelings. Right now I'm just taking a wait and see attitude. I don't want to let things slide like I did in the past but I also don't want to withdraw from these new relationships without good reason.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to know if my current feelings are coming from instinct or just paranoia?

I've found myself wondering if I was being told the whole truth

Well, first off, no one tells you "the whole truth" - and I don't think, in most settings, you'd want them to.

So it really comes down to an assessment as to whether you feel they have your best interests at heart, are generally trustworthy and share an interest in the health of the bond.

Sensing a person or relationship lack those fairly evident qualities doesn't make you paranoid...

Mr. Lucky