How good is your memory?

Springsummer

Say if you chatted with someone at least 4 times over a period few years and even the last time you chatted was 2-3 years ago.

Will you fail to recognize that person at all? like totally unrecognizable, no memory of having ever seen that person? is that normal? even just a random stranger?

Memory rarely fails me. What context are we talking about?

Sorry to be crude, but I would remember a crush, or a hookup from 15 years ago more than a random chat with a stranger from last year.

By the way, what did I have for dinner yesterday evening? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Someone who was memorable will be remembered. If they weren't particularly memorable, they will be forgotten.

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic

This would be fairly normal for me. I have a pretty bad memory and I'm particularly bad with faces. I will remember how to spell your weird last name before I remember your face unless you're very peculiar looking or we've had 3 or 4 face to face meaningful conversations. I think there's an actual name for this shortcoming.

• Like 2
  • Author
Springsummer

um...interesting. Maybe because I am a very impressionable and visual person? I was the "artist' in my classes back in schools. I loved to draw portraits. People's faces will generally give me deja vu feeling if I have seen them, sometimes even once.

Maybe it's one of my problems....too visual and idealistic

CautiouslyOptimistic
um...interesting. Maybe because I am a very impressionable and visual person? I was the "artist' in my classes back in schools. I loved to draw portraits. People's faces will generally give me deja vu feeling if I have seen them, sometimes even once.

I don't think it's a "problem." Maybe more of a left brain/right brain thing?

I used to be really good at remembering and recognizing faces and had a good memory in general but in the last few years not so much. I think a lot of it is due to age (I'm 48) but maybe also that Ive had some trauma and general temultuousness lately.

• Like 1

I don't so much remember the faces. I remember how interesting they were to talk with. I will easily remember a vibrant personality.

This would be fairly normal for me. I have a pretty bad memory and I'm particularly bad with faces. I will remember how to spell your weird last name before I remember your face unless you're very peculiar looking or we've had 3 or 4 face to face meaningful conversations. I think there's an actual name for this shortcoming.

Prosopagnosia (when it’s extreme).

I'm terrible with names but will often remember faces if the person left an impression (I'm better at remembering attractive women).

I've put a lot less effort into remembering anything since I've been dating as it just wastes valuable space in my brain that is better served storing less temporary information.

I dated this one girl last year that was like Groundhog Day. She literally could not remember anything. It was like her short term memory only lasted a couple days. She used to keep pictures of past events or she would forget they ever happened. It was as if she had a brain trauma.

Strange and frustrating to say the least but she was fine with it. Never met someone like that before or since.

• Author
Springsummer

I dated this one girl last year that was like Groundhog Day. She literally could not remember anything. It was like her short term memory only lasted a couple days. She used to keep pictures of past events or she would forget they ever happened. It was as if she had a brain trauma. .

OMG...wonder how life works for her though? you need certain memory capacity to function well in many aspects of life, right?

• Author
Springsummer
I'm bad at remembering names but I never forget a face.

Never? wow, I can't say that. Today, I just found out that I can't really recognize someone I met just once one year ago.

• Author
Springsummer

sigh.....so I guess this thread is like many thread in this forum...we don't have a conclusion...not even generally?

People's memeory vary wildly, some from one extrem to another.

so, maybe I can conclude that the man either has memory problem or I am really not memorable, or both. None of them are good. so I guess I would have to pass. can't over this.