Age Definition

To you what is Young/Middle Age/Elderly?

Baby/Child-0 to 4

Kid-5-15.

Teenager-16 to 20.

Young adult-21-60. I know this range will be talked about.

Middle Age-60-74.

Elderly-75 +

Again it depends on energy level and health of the person.

I am 46.

Middle Age-60-74.

I think that middle age is the middle of your life expectancy. So, I'd say around 50....and even this is stretching it a bit.

My BFF is horrified that I call us "middle aged" LOL

• Like 3
Happy Lemming

In the US, the average male life expectancy is 84.3 years (Source SSA.gov, once you reach 65), so middle age would be 42.15, so based on that calculation; middle age would be around 37 - 47, in my opinion.

At what point would you say you are "over the hill" or past mid-point in your life span?? If you think you will live to see 92 (good health, etc) then, yes 46 is middle aged.

Just my two cents...

• Like 3
Happy Lemming

Call me anything you want, as long as I get to see the sun rise another day!!

• Like 3

I find it bizarre that you've got a huge "young adult" range, but no "adult". Perhaps you don't want to grow up?

• Like 2
To you what is Young/Middle Age/Elderly?

Baby/Child-0 to 4

Kid-5-15.

Teenager-16 to 20.

Young adult-21-60. I know this range will be talked about.

Middle Age-60-74.

Elderly-75 +

Again it depends on energy level and health of the person.

I am 46.

Child - 12

Teen -13 - 18th birthday or graduate HS, which ever comes first

Young adult - 18 - 28 unless married then adult for full adult responsibilities

Adult - 29 and up

Middle age - 39 - 59

Old - 60 and up

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

0-2 baby

2-3 toddler

4-10 child

11-12 tween

13-19 teen

20-30 young adult

31-45 adult

46 - 60 middle age

61-79 older adult

80+ elderly

• Like 6

I'm not sure if you can put an number on this. Some teens act very mature for their age,while some old people acct like little children.

• Like 1
I think that middle age is the middle of your life expectancy. So, I'd say around 50....and even this is stretching it a bit.

Yep middle age is the middle of your individual lifespan or more generally the middle of a populations life expectancy or projection of such.

Being Australian with a current population life expectancy of 82.8 years it is fair to say we are middle aged at 41/42 (I am 46½). Of course the mileage or kilometres (being Australian) for each of us will vary.

As to your boyfriend I think it's cool to own it, that said I don't think we have to like it.

Anyway Mysterio you can pretend all sorts of things and tell yourself lies as you please. Yet the reality is being Canadian at 46, you are middle aged for your nationality.

At the end of the day how you feel is irrelevant to reality, how long you and your population actually live is relevant as a measure.

Yep middle age is the middle of your individual lifespan or more generally the middle of a populations life expectancy or projection of such.

Being Australian with a current population life expectancy of 82.8 years it is fair to say we are middle aged at 41/42 (I am 46½). Of course the mileage or kilometres (being Australian) for each of us will vary.

As to your boyfriend I think it's cool to own it, that said I don't think we have to like it.

Anyway Mysterio you can pretend all sorts of things and tell yourself lies as you please. Yet the reality is being Canadian at 46, you are middle aged for your nationality.

At the end of the day how you feel is irrelevant to reality, how long you and your population actually live is relevant as a measure.

Mean

Mode

Median

I do not remember which is which. I only remember things that

are important. Being middle age does not mean the halfway point

of the average life span.

When LS is 80, 40 is not middle aged. It is only the halfway

point of the 80 year life span.

Middle age is the range of years of the best years of your life.

Things that make it your best years are being married, a parent,

prime years of your career, earnings, physical ability based on

the combination not having lost much to time, maybe a half step,

and your knowledge and skills allow you to not even miss that

half a step.

In general most people will have peaked in all of the above things

above from 39 to 59. And maintain their edge till they hit 60.

A few may peak by 35 and some may hold on into their early

60's. But it is best to talk in general then the exceptions to the

rules.

I'm not sure if you can put an number on this. Some teens act very mature for their age,while some old people acct like little children.

The OP was not asking to classify people by maturity. He wanted

to classify people by age.

Though when classifying by age or any other category there will

be the exceptions where some people ahead and behind the curve.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I wouldn't consider a male pushing 60 to be a young adult ;)

Here's how I saw it when I was young:

Baby/Child-0 to 4

Kid-5 to 15.

Teenager-16 to 20.

Young adult-21 to 29

Over 30 - Ancient

Now in my 60's, looks like this:

0 to 59 - Inexperienced, Foolish Ingrates

60 to 100 - Golden Years

100+ - Sponge off Kids/Grandkids

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
todreaminblue

0 to about 18 months baby (unless you are my youngest daughter then you never lose that status.....)

18 months to three years.... toddler

three to 11 child

12 to 13 tween

13 to 18 teen

18 to late twenties young adult unless your male this continues on till your 40 and then you go back to teen.....for twenty years

30 to 40 adult\

40 till 70 or 100 middle aged

i plan on staying middle aged until i die...i am actually 49 this year.....so i gave myself some leg room to remain middle aged....and i refuse to think of my mum as elderly....or my friends from church....they are all too young at heart....smart as whips and funny too.....they have to live much longer all of them.....

90 to 103 elderly..adorable enlightened beings of infinite intellectual wealth

100 plus ...also adorable enlightened human being of infinite intellectual wealth..they are magic peeps

that is about it i think...deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2
todreaminblue
Here's how I saw it when I was young:

Baby/Child-0 to 4

Kid-5 to 15.

Teenager-16 to 20.

Young adult-21 to 29

Over 30 - Ancient

Now in my 60's, looks like this:

0 to 59 - Inexperienced, Foolish Ingrates

60 to 100 - Golden Years

100+ - Sponge off Kids/Grandkids

Mr. Lucky

lol you is funny....deb

• Author

There is also social age as well. I think that there are people that are a certain bio age, then a social age.

My friends DT/ GB/ had kids late 30's. By the time the kids leave the house they will be pushing 60.

My buddy MO and his wife M don't have kids and have been together for 27 yrs. They have disposable income and they come off to me as a young couple although seasoned.

I think that if wee compare our age now. We are very different from our parents at our age. My 40's are very different from my parents. My parents at my age of 46 had teenagers. My brother and I are single and childless.

I think that the young men and women in World War 2 were the most mature of all. All of us are living in a lap of luxery today because of that generation that had to fight the forces of Evil.

Basically I don't feel middle age just by lifestyle. There is a social age as well. Most people take me to be in my mid 30's. I have had as low as 24 and has high as 36.

Even Actors don't really portray their age on movies. Tom Cruise age wise could play Granpa, but he won't. Morgan Freeman can't play a young guy with teenagers. He is Granddad or the wise old sage.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

I wiki'd and here's another opinion. 'Erikson's stages of psychosocial development' classifies age groups like this.

Adolescence

13–19 years

Early Adulthood

20–39 years

Adulthood

40–64 years

Maturity

65-death

Just an observation about how attitude colors age...

I love Mom to pieces. She has always been sedentary. At 89 she doesn't get out much, only exercises by walking for 10 minutes when enough sons and grandsons are around, and doesn't want to hear that changing her eating, exercising, or social habits would 'probably' help her enjoy life more.

She has a long-time (70+ years) male friend in his mid 90s (no romantic potential - I HOPE - because he's married). This guy is a crackerjack. Always fun to meet and hang out with. Had to give up skiing relatively recently, but I think he still plays tennis and keeps up his home (same one his 3 kids grew up in) and swimming pool by himself. To some extent, age is an attitude.

• Like 3
  • Author
I wiki'd and here's another opinion. 'Erikson's stages of psychosocial development' classifies age groups like this.

Adolescence

13–19 years

Early Adulthood

20–39 years

Adulthood

40–64 years

Maturity

65-death

I think I could go by thins. More psychosocial than bio age. I am 46 and I don't feel that much differnt than 36. I have a friend that is 66 and I don't feel that we are that far in age. I have another friend that is 42 and sometimes I feel he is just a big kid.

• Like 1
Just an observation about how attitude colors age...

I love Mom to pieces. She has always been sedentary. At 89 she doesn't get out much, only exercises by walking for 10 minutes when enough sons and grandsons are around, and doesn't want to hear that changing her eating, exercising, or social habits would 'probably' help her enjoy life more.

She has a long-time (70+ years) male friend in his mid 90s (no romantic potential - I HOPE - because he's married). This guy is a crackerjack. Always fun to meet and hang out with. Had to give up skiing relatively recently, but I think he still plays tennis and keeps up his home (same one his 3 kids grew up in) and swimming pool by himself. To some extent, age is an attitude.

wow...didn't know one could ski into one's mid 90s! this gives me hope. heading out to ski in an hour or so:)

age is an attitude...um...

• Author

I see differnt people at different ages. My parents are now Late 70's. In my eyes they come off as 60 something. When they had me. My Mother looked very young. Even though she was 31.

If I had to go by age in my head socially.

I see 1 to 24 Young and your still taken as a kid.

25 to 65 your all in the same boat. Working and starting families and around 65 you kids if you have any are making you Empty Nesters.

65-85 your transitioning to being retired.

85 + I guess your elderly and trying to keep your health up. Baring any major ailments. I would say 87 to 93 is the average lifespan of North Americans.