cute but not-so-young women

This thread was inspired by another thread in which the OP described his 40-year-old dating prospect as having a cute face.

As someone who speaks English as a second language, I used to think that the word "cute" was reserved for someone younger (teenage girls or girls in her 20s). But I've heard people use "cute" to describe women in her 30s or even 40s over the years. Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on the internet; there are indeed some women who would be a little offended when being called cute by a guy, as they think the guy probably doesn't have something better to say about her looks. Apparently, however, most guys think that calling a woman cute is a real compliment, because it encompasses the whole package (her personality in addition to her looks).

I'd like to hear from both men and women on your experience and opinion on the use of the word cute for not-so-young women.

Life lessons
This thread was inspired by another thread in which the OP described his 40-year-old dating prospect as having a cute face.

As someone who speaks English as a second language, I used to think that the word "cute" was reserved for someone younger (teenage girls or girls in her 20s). But I've heard people use "cute" to describe women in her 30s or even 40s over the years. Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on the internet; there are indeed some women who would be a little offended when being called cute by a guy, as they think the guy probably doesn't have something better to say about her looks. Apparently, however, most guys think that calling a woman cute is a real compliment, because it encompasses the whole package (her personality in addition to her looks).

I'd like to hear from both men and women on your experience and opinion on the use of the word cute for not-so-young women.

I would also think the word "cute", would apply to younger females. Being mid thirties, I can't say I've been called cute in a while. Men will usually say beautiful, gorgeous or pretty. Then again, maybe it's a particular generation...maybe millennials!? But...I being the female will say a guys cute or handsome.

• Like 2

I was def cute when i was younger and i liked it. Im 47 now and i think ive still got a lot of what made me cute, but its true that 47 is a little old for cute. I do get called beautiful sometimes, but i think cute is more accurate. We should have a word for old cute people. lol

• Like 3
Cookiesandough

I get called cute a lot. Cute almost always. I don't like it much. I translate it to "good enough". I much prefer beautiful when it's sincere. My ex used to...oh god nvm I don't wanna start crying

• Like 3
  • Author
I would also think the word "cute", would apply to younger females. Being mid thirties, I can't say I've been called cute in a while. Men will usually say beautiful, gorgeous or pretty. Then again, maybe it's a particular generation...maybe millennials!? But...I being the female will say a guys cute or handsome.

Right, calling a guy "cute" is totally the norm (even one who is not so young!) ;)

• Like 1
RecentChange

I am 38.

I call good looking guys cute, women cute, I kinda like being called cute.

I call shoes cute, cars cute, horses cute - I use it as a universal for good looking.

• Like 7
todreaminblue

i would rather be called cute than sexy...unless im in the bedroom and that person is my partner then sexy is cool...but cute ....i think encompasses personality....and a warmer more affectionate term....

when i was a teen i used to get called cute.....and a girlfriend told me yeah that means they think your ugly but interesting....at first i felt a little hurt then i realized ...hey im interesting.....that's a positive.........to be totally honest i would rather be called xena warrior princess but cute would do me fine....deb

• Like 2
todreaminblue
Right, calling a guy "cute" is totally the norm (even one who is not so young!) ;)

cute guys rock at any age....its the mischief in the eyes, the glow..... and many laughter lines...rugged cuteness....:)).....deb

Cookiesandough
i would rather be called cute than sexy...unless im in the bedroom and that person is my partner then sexy is cool...but cute ....i think encompasses personality....and a warmer more affectionate term....

when i was a teen i used to get called cute.....and a girlfriend told me yeah that means they think your ugly but interesting....at first i felt a little hurt then i realized ...hey im interesting.....that's a positive.........to be totally honest i would rather be called xena warrior princess but cute would do me fine....deb

Haha the last part. Yes I was told the same thing. That people say "cute" because they can't think of anything better to say about your appearance! And I guess it stuck with me.

But I definitely agree cute>Sexy from a potential partner every time.

Edited by Cookiesandough

Cute is as generic as it comes. I never thought of it as something that was restricted by age.

• Like 1
bubbaganoosh

I would think that if a man called a woman cute it would be a compliment. Sure beats some other names that she could be called.

• Like 1
frigginlost

I'm 50, and I call women from 25 to 95 cute. It means attractive, appealing, beautiful, innocent all rolled into one to me.

If a woman had a problem with me calling her cute, I'd next her so quick she'd age decades in a second...

• Like 1

Out of respect but no harm calling any women of 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s even if you want to go as high as 70s.. Using the word cute is not respectful.

looks good

cute

pretty

beautiful

etc..

Only if the woman in question finds it or deems it not respectful in your case you do not like to be called cute.

CaliforniaGirl

I'm 49 and I actually still get called cute. I think it's fine. Actually, it's kind of a fun thing to say/hear, IMO.

I feel like "cute" means pleasing looking, but not a fashion model. I can live with that. Obviously, I must look good enough (face and body) to never have had a problem in the dating department. So...guys must like cute. :laugh: Or at least a few do!

Of course, as soon as the guy wants a little, I go from "cute" to "wow...you are GORGEOUS...those sexy eyes." It's almost like the 3-beer rule, LOL.

Oh, and FTR...I do call guys cute. I always have. "Cute" to me means "I like the way you look and I'm restraining myself from pulling the buttons off your shirt with my teeth." I don't like "handsome" much unless I'm speaking to my sons, because it sounds like something an old lady would say to a young person, LOL. And "gorgeous" and so on are generally silly, often inaccurate and...I don't know.

I'm 55. My husband calls me cute when I curse. Like F bombs everywhere. Double cute if I'm drinking, cuz it gets worse.

As for looks, he sticks with beautiful.

• Like 3
Gr8fuln2020

Never really thought of 'cute' as an age-related term of endearment. I'm in my 40s and the ladies to whom I've used the term smiled, giggled, but never offended in any way.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you for all the replies. It does appear that most guys think of the word "cute" as a genuine compliment, even to women who are not too young. So I guess we shouldn't be too picky about this word ;-)

curiouslysearching
I am 38.

I call good looking guys cute, women cute, I kinda like being called cute.

I call shoes cute, cars cute, horses cute - I use it as a universal for good looking.

RC

I think "cute" is an endearing term for sure. The question is what

would you call the waves crashing on the shore near Santa Cruz?

cute or AWESOME?

curiouslysearching
I get called cute a lot. Cute almost always. I don't like it much. I translate it to "good enough". I much prefer beautiful when it's sincere. My ex used to...oh god nvm I don't wanna start crying

COOKIE

Be happy NO MORE CRYING...you need to realize that you really are

an outstanding woman and I bet you are much more attractive than

CUTE....

• Author

Thanks for your comment. Just curious: In your mind, being cute or pretty or beautiful are attractive in different ways?

Wait a minute. I'm a 40+ year old male. I hear women in their 20's, 30's and 40's refer to a man they see (across the room) as "cute" all the time when their with their girlfriends. Why is it different the other way around?

I'll tell you why. Because you're not acknowledging that the word cute has more than one meaning and for whatever reason you're clinging onto the "cute" as in, "cute as a kitten" version. Cute is a compliment. I mean, the actual definition is:

CUTE:

1.attractive, especially in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty:

2.appealing and delightful; charming:

If I say a girl is cute it means she's attractive, feminine, appealing. As the definition say's "dainty." Nothing about that is dismissive or a 2nd best to pretty or any other adjective that describes someone who's attractive.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Come to think of it, some not-so-young celebrities whom I'd describe as cute include: Britney Spears (30s), Natalie Portman (30s), Gwyneth Paltrow (40s). Taylor Swift would be another one who would remain cute well into her 30s-40s.

I think everyone uses the word "cute" to mean different things. If used to describe certain things, it can be condescending. Like if someone thinks you're cute when you're mad.

But overall, I think cute isn't derogatory or age-specific and is usually a compliment.

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland

A lot of people use cute as a pure synonym for attractive. But I think for me, I consider it to be more of a possibly youthful, but really natural attractive look. The so called "girl next door" look. Flawless skin, big smile, big eyes. It may or may not be on someone who is also sexy, beautiful, etc. I see them as different things.

• Like 3
  • Author
A lot of people use cute as a pure synonym for attractive. But I think for me, I consider it to be more of a possibly youthful, but really natural attractive look. The so called "girl next door" look. Flawless skin, big smile, big eyes. It may or may not be on someone who is also sexy, beautiful, etc. I see them as different things.

Well said :)