dating apps and other stuff

First, please don't think I'm totally down and depressed about this stuff, I really have a positive outlook on life and see opportunity everywhere, but it just seems like things rarely go my way.

I don't know where to start other than to say that I have had very little real contact with girls/women thus far. I have met plenty over the years at school and with friends, and of course got to know them and everything. Never had a chance at a relationship though(seems everyone is with somebody already).

Last year I decided to make a concerted effort to meet new people, so I started going out more to clubs and a bar here and there, nothing so far. I also got onto some dating apps like POF and Okcupid. I don't know what I'm doing wrong as nothing is working out on these sites.

I have used them on and off for almost a year, and had literally 5 actually conversations with people. I'm not picky, I read through profiles and find something unique or interesting about the person and send what seems like a decent message. I would estimate a response rate of less than 1%.

Things seemed to be going good last week, I messaged a good-looking girl who I had a bit in common with. We chatted almost a week and agreed to meet for coffee. Things went great and she said we should get together again. Later on I messaged her asking for her number because it seemed appropriate to get off the dating app at that point. She promptly deleted her account. This is the sole meeting I've had though these apps. Most people I message never even look at my profile.

As for myself, I think I have two problems, my profile content and my pictures. I know I am no Ryan Gosling but never considered myself repulsive either. I'm on the tall and thin side, with a nice beard going.

I have a hard time writing my profile because I need to balance who I really am with what I know people are interested in. I guess my interests are pretty unusual(computer science, physics, chemistry, philosophy, etc). I am an extremely rational, logical person, but of course like chilling with friends, going out, and all that as well. I have no interest in music, movies, animals, etc. and don't feel like I should lie to people about it. At a loss for what to write in my profile.

I have taken hundreds of photos trying to get good composition, lighting, all that but I always think they look either goofy or cold.

I know there are no easy answers here, I just don't understand why I am having so much trouble. 23 years old by the way.

Edited by palmsand
added age