Sex to become redundant...

Finally, I know am sick of it so far this year. It still amazes how far some people are willing to go to get some e.g. becoming a puppet / slave

IVF is the process whereby a woman's egg is removed and fertilized with sperm outside her body. It can then be frozen to be put back into her womb when she wishes to start her pregnancy. Professor Djerassi believes the switch to IVF will be gradual and done for convenience.

Inventor of the pill says that sex will only be for fun

Except for 99% of people who cannot afford IVF or prefer the good ol' natural way of conception.

Thanks to numerous forms of birth control, the vast majority of sex is already redundant - from the standpoint of procreation.

• Author

What makes you think IVF is always going to be elusive to all? Over here, there are provinces that supplement this as part of the health care service.

I know health care sucks in the US, but it's not the case in most of the world. In France for example, when a woman has a kid, the family is provided 1yr parental help in the form of a nanny.

Well healthcare does suck here in the U.S. and will always suck no matter what. So choose a country to argue/complain about since no one here in the U.S. can afford IVF. No one here gets 1 year for maternity leave.

In fact, my cousin's wife who just gave birth a week ago, was only given 3 weeks maternity leave from her company. I find that totally inhumane and dictated by corporate greedy standards. Companies treat people as expendable cogs, especially where healthcare and IVF/maternity leave is concerned.

• Like 2

Harvesting eggs is hard in a woman's body. Considering how many women avoid hormonal birth control due to side effects, if be surprised if freezing eggs/embryos became commonplace.

But how does this make sex redundant? Most sex is for pleasure, not reproduction.

• Like 4

My exW and I did IVF a couple of times and Artificial Insemination a few times..the result was no children

I know with IVF they wouldn't start the procedure unless there was 15k in a sweep type account that would pay the bills.. this of course was in the mid-late 90's though.. maybe it has gotten cheaper.

I spent in the neighbor of 30k+ and they were all failures...

I can't imagine somebody that was perfectly able to conceive the natural way picking IVF over that, just because of the money, most people don't have 10-15k or more for that purpose.

I think the guy is just making statements to be in the news..

• Like 1
What makes you think IVF is always going to be elusive to all? Over here, there are provinces that supplement this as part of the health care service.

I know health care sucks in the US, but it's not the case in most of the world. In France for example, when a woman has a kid, the family is provided 1yr parental help in the form of a nanny.

I'm also in Canada and would be pretty surprised if IVF is covered by healthcare except in cases where natural conception has consistently failed.

It's like having food injected directly into your stomach. I'm sure that's possible, and in some cases actually the case (though usually in the form of IV feeds to the blood), but won't catch on when there's a much easier and generally more pleasurable way of getting nutrients into the body.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm also in Canada and would be pretty surprised if IVF is covered by healthcare except in cases where natural conception has consistently failed.

It's like having food injected directly into your stomach. I'm sure that's possible, and in some cases actually the case (though usually in the form of IV feeds to the blood), but won't catch on when there's a much easier and generally more pleasurable way of getting nutrients into the body.

I said "supplemented"...missed that part? To be specific, in Quebec like most things they get right there. Kids daycare anyone..compared to other provinces

But how does this make sex redundant? Most sex is for pleasure, not reproduction.

Yes, this. The OP doesn't make sense.

I agree, your premise doesn't make sense. IVF is not easy to do, not cheap, and so I really doubt the majority will do this as a normal course of action. It does make sense.

Do you feel sex happens primarily for pure reproductive reasons? My understanding, and general poll :laugh:, we do it because it feels good and work around the fact it can result in a child. Normal course of action is to have the fun without the outcome.

• Author

Oh people...fun = redundant i.e. there won't be the added pressure of having to do it to have kids.

Oh people...fun = redundant i.e. there won't be the added pressure of having to do it to have kids.

:confused: I enjoy reading. Reading does not get redundant for me.

I have never felt I needed to have sex to have kids. I have sex to have sex.

• Like 1

I've had a lot of sex in my life... never have I done it to have kids... I do it because I like doing it. I love sex! I would still do it even if we could buy kids in supermarkets! (which, btw, I would support. I mean... the horror stories of childbirth are enough to put anyone off it! :p)

• Like 1

I have generally thought that redundant is the antithesis of fun. Certainly doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Insert Inigo Montoya quote here.

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle
:confused: I enjoy reading. Reading does not get redundant for me.

I have never felt I needed to have sex to have kids. I have sex to have sex.

Agreed :bunny: