How do you deal with a selfish spouse/SO who is oblivious?

A friend of mine is married and her wife is very selfish. The spot light always has to be on her wife and from where I'm sitting she is jealous of my friends relationship with EVERYONE that is not her, especially my friends daughter whom she had before they met.

I ask this because my friend and I talk about this subject often and I'm not sure what kind of advice I can give short of "get rid of her, she will never change". My friend loves her wife, takes her vows seriously and has tried everything in the book to try to help her wife grow.

I think the problem is that her wife just can't accept or admit that she is ever wrong. That’s the first step in making a change IMO. So without that acknowledgement of being wrong and open to change, what can be done?

I know we can't change anyone or anything but ourselves, but how can we help someone along to their "aha" moment, especially someone so self absorbed and selfish?

• Author
It is your friend's wife, and you want to change her? I know this may sound mean, but maybe you need to talk with your friend and get your friend to stand up for herself. You should not play any part in their mirrage. Your friend will resent you and might stop being your friend if you try to confront her wife about her selfishness. Try to build up your friend's confidence and have your friend deal with it on her own.

Good luck!

No, Im not trying to change her wife at all and absolutely not trying to confront her. Its not my problem and im definitely not involved in her marriage like that, its her issue. I'm just trying to figure out the best kind of advice to give her when it comes up.