My boyfriends mother doesn't like me.

I'm in a current dilemma which I feel I cannot discuss with many people I know personally, especially not my boyfriend!

His mother. Her behaviour is becoming increasingly testing towards me and I'm not sure what to do. My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly two years and we plan on spending the rest of our lives together. We value our relationship and each other so much, it's a great relationship.

His mother seems to have noticed in the past three months or so that my relationship with her son is pretty damn serious and I'm gathering that she's not a fan of this. She's becoming increasingly competitive with me for his attention, she'll blatantly ignore me half of the time and act so 'whatever' with me, she can be inappropriate a lot of the time (an example of this is talking about my boyfriend's ex partners in front of me) and she tries to mother him more and more. I'm not taking it personally, I think she'd be like this towards anyone who is with her son. I'm a very perceptive person and I've observed that she is a pretty bored woman and also pretty jealous/insecure. Seems as though I am on the receiving end. It's ridiculous. There are so many incidents where she has been really, really rude to me. I'm getting sick of it.

What do I do? I don't think I could bring myself to say anything to my boyfriend because he seems oblivious to it and it's a pretty big issue to bring up with him. What the hell do I do? I'm always so nice and friendly and try to initiate conversation with her, though it ends up being blown in my face. I don't want to treat her how she treats me because it will only provide her with ammunition to see me as a 'bad' person or whatever the hell she may think.

All I know is that I'm becoming very fed up!

Any advice? Anyone been in a similar situation? Share your stories, comments, anything! I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks. I can provide more info if you like.

I don't think I could bring myself to say anything to my boyfriend because he seems oblivious to it and it's a pretty big issue to bring up with him.

You should be able to talk to him about things that bother you. Do you think he wouldn't have your back on this?

It is a sensitive issue to bring up, but there really aren't any better alternatives. If this is something that you can't ignore, then tell him in a respectful, calm way that you feel that his mother is treating you rudely and ask him if he's noticed it.

Be careful not to say anything disrespectful about her so he doesn't go on the defensive. Ask him how he thinks it should be handled. Ideally, he'll volunteer to have a talk with his mother about it. Do you think that's something he might do?

DontWorryBHappy

Girl... You absolutely must address this issue asap! Believe me when I say that if this is the right guy for you, he will not tolerate anyone in his family not being accepting of you. He may be reluctant to bring up the issue to her at first, which is understandable, but in the end I would expect him to be on your side. You absolutely have to bring it up if you want to marry this guy, because it won't get better unless you do.... only worse.