Does anyone out there have a job dilemma?

red-rose-in-winter

This may sound like a dumb question to ask, but does anyone out there have a problem being happy with their jobs? I worked for 5 years in an automotive car factory and was treated like dirt. I stayed there that long and one day I woke up and realized that the company was using me to do the "dirty" work nobody else wanted to do. So I quit without notice one day. I stayed at that factory and gave them 5 good years and I got nothing in return. I did everything they asked of me, never skipped work, and did good quality work.

Now I have a problem being happy in any job I find. There are not many jobs around my neighborhood, and I should be happy when I do find a job (because unemployment is on the rise), but I find myself miserable when I start the job. Maybe it's because I have found a new freedom in not having to stay at a job I don't like, or it's because I jump into a job too quickly. (?)

Is anyone else going through this, or has anyone else gone through this in their life? I am in my early 30's, and most of the jobs I have had have been moved overseas. My husband is self-employed, and I told him he is really lucky to have the option and the skills to work at home.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

The two best jobs I had got wiped out :( Whole organization gone due to a political decision. I have not had a perfect job, and I've had some horrid ones. I've had jobs which would have been great had there been any sort of good leadership. In my time, I found that certain types of work tended to have happier employees; scientists and computer types tended to be happiest and anyone dealing with finance or accounting not so much.

You can try determining where your true interests and passion lie and then create a business for yourself or try to find one closer to your heart to work in. Or you can plod along in miserable jobs and live the rest of your life the way you want. People do one or the other of these things when they find themselves in the state you're in.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by moimeme

In my time, I found that certain types of work tended to have happier employees; scientists and computer types tended to be happiest and anyone dealing with finance or accounting not so much.

I kinda have to laugh at this -- I've been in accounting for years (mainly tax accounting) and I cannot get away from it! Its so strong on my resume that even when I pursue other things I keep getting sucked back in! "Just to help us out right now" is a phrase I've heard a lot - especially where I am now where I created a budget database and budgeting tools for managers and then had to combine and tweak them and redirect charges, etc.

I am one of those people who never really had a dream of what I wanted to be when I grew up. My husband is driven and knows what he wants and is only held back by his disability and his self-confidence & disciplin. I float from one thing to another. I like graphic arts and desktop publishing and marketing. Done all of them. They were okay, but I still get bored easy.

Honestly, the most enjoyable position I had was as an Office Manager because I was in control and the work was so diverse. I might be creating an organizational plan for the admin group and files one minute, then making copies the next, then dealing with lease problems, vendors, AP and budgets the next. I hated to lose that job! Now, office manager positions are so different and the requirements and focus is different. It's more accounting/bookkeeping then anything else and I just really detest bookkeeping!

I would love to work with animals, but I go home crying whenever I volunteer at the shelters (I have such passion for these animals, and they break my heart daily) and the jobs at pet resorts, etc. just do not pay enough to support my family. Working for a vet is totally out the window - I just could not handle it. I'm way, way, way too emotional when it comes to animals.

So, red~rose~in~winter, you are not alone. I'm not really happy with what I'm doing now, often bored, but I can't afford to quit since I support my family.

I wish I did have a definite career that I was passionate about and where I would look forward to going to work every day.

hokey you sound like,me still deciding what to do.love animals but can't stand to see them in pain. I have not had many jobs that lasted except the last one,put up with way to much, was manager except the CEO at the other branch seemed to want to make everyones life miserable. I tried to ignore her. she was into intimidating people and bragged about it. I don't kiss ass and only reason I got away with not kissing her ass is because my sister was vice pres. I don't like dishonesty so I wont put up with it either.I worked my butt off and loved my job,sometimes I wish I stayed.its been 2 years and still not working.we have the highest unemployment rate. I have given up on looking. my husband said he would give me money to start a business except I have no clue what to do. it sucks working for other people. If I could only find a nice boss at a job I liked. I'm thinking there are none. so I guess I'm still deciding what I want to be when I grow up. :bunny:

HokeyReligions

I'm in Houston TX - I know about unemployment! My husband and I are trying to get a business going, but we've (I should say HE) has only had 2 clients. he is still working out the bugs in the equipment we have. I'm not interested in what he does. I know that sounds terrible - but the work is not interesting to me and I don't enjoy it. He adores it and it shows in his attitude and hard work and his finished product. I'll just take care of the administrative end because I have to (the company is in my name)

• Author
red-rose-in-winter

I really appreciate all the replies about my topic. I guess it is really hard to find a job that you love since there are so few jobs. My husband is a welder, and he is trying to start up a home business. We both worked at the automotive factory together, and he is so much happier since he is in business for himself. Since I have about 30+ years to work before I can even think about retiring, I need to find something I love to do. I told my husband that I would rather make less money and be happy at a job than to make lots of money and be miserable.

There is a job out there for all of us, we just have to find it. ;)

Thanks again ya'll for all the replies -- it means a lot to know that I am not alone in the "job hunt."