Its strange, but I am sure it has happened to some of us.

Has anyone ever felt as if they dont exist in their relationship? That you dont even register on their radar? As if you could literally be a part of the wall?

I am not talking about married 15 years, 3 kids forgetfullness here and there due to stress and life. And I am also not talking about the 7 (or 3 depending on who your talking to) year itch phenomenon...Or under stress because of working late to meet an important deadline.

I am talking about coexisting in dead silence for most of the time. And the feeling that they didnt even know you were there when they came into the room and left, even though you were standing right in front of them. I am talking about a chronic thing.

Has this ever happened to any of you and if so, did you ever find out the reason for that? Being treated as if you didnt exist?

• Author
Yes, and I got a divorce.

did you ever find out why, though? Why you were treated like this?

• Author

I suspect he took me for granted and didn't really have much interest in me as a person

That sounds so stark and sad.

Yes, in most of my relationships actually. I ended up being more of an accessory than a partner.

A. I divorced my first husband, the damage was done and I couldn't take any more.

B. I found out I had strong codependency issues...

C. I got remarried and became an accessory again...

D. I left him and we both went to therapy...

We are working on getting back together, but it has been almost a year now... a long hard road to say the least. I am still in therapy and working on my issues.

It wasn't my relationships, it was me. I found out I had to change a lot of things about myself and the way I see the world. I had to develop a strong identity of my own before I could function again as part of a couple.

You didn't really give enough details to say for sure if co-dependency may be the root of your problem, but no matter what it is... therapy can't hurt.