no affection

bayleegirl

Hi there. Hey, should I be concerned if the guy I'm seeing NEVER wants to show any affection in public? As soon as his friends are out of sight, he'll give me a kiss. But when anyone else is around, it's like we can't even hold hands or anything. This is starting to really hurt my feelings. I have no problem with public displays of affection, as long as it's nothing to extreme, I wish he could be the same. I knowyou can't change someone if they don't want to be changed but I think this bothers me enough to break it off with him. What do you think?

Talk to him. Find out straight from his mouth why he is not willing to hold hands with you around others. It could be a result of the way he was raised. He could be very shy. Or he may have another gal in mind and doesn't want word to get out that the two of you are a serious item. Who knows?

I have never heard of someone breaking up with someone because of their dislike for public displays of affection but I'm sure it's happened. If you are not getting your needs met from this relationship, you have the absolute right to split. But before you do, let your needs be known and find out why he is so reluctant to hold you close in front of others.

Maybe he has a good reason you will accept. Or maybe he doesn't know how important it is to you. But, again, this may be an issue that can't be resolved and that will require a review of the relationship.