Belly button

Amanda

I've never had foreign objects stuck through my flesh but I say, for myself, it is very unattractive...serves no useful purpose...and I do know some people sustain serious infections from them.

They have no value whatsoever except to make those who wear them look freakish and weird. I suppose that's what they want. I think tattoos are extremely unattractive as well, yet I have seen many females, even models, get them. They cheapen a woman's appearance in my opinion.

However, it's a free country and people can take the body God gave them and screw it to hell in whatever way they wish with drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, piercings, tattoos, etc.

Know yourself out!!!

hi amanda,

i had my belly button pierced a year ago. to be honest, it didn't hurt as much as i thought it would and i have a low pain threshold - but that's just me and the woman who pierced me was very good.

i would suggest shopping around for a good piercer. make sure they are very sterile too. if you know anyone who has had a piercing, ask them where they had it done and were they happy with the person who pierced them. often word of mouth is very good. i had a friend come in with me who watched everything the piercer did and made sure everything was sterile (i.e. the needle was brand new, the jewellery was sterilised etc).

the most pain i felt when i had my piercing done, was when the lady put the jewellery in, but even that wasn't too bad. you have to make sure you clean it thoroughly with a product designed for cleaning body piercings. i actually had an excellent antiseptic spray. some places recommend using a cream, and others recommend a saline solution. don't fiddle with your jewellery and don't overclean your piercing. overcleaning it can be just as bad as not cleaning it properly. you will be given instructions on how to properly care for your piercing and you must follow these.

i was a little sore for a few weeks after i had it done. i couldn't sleep on my stomach either. it wasn't "painful" as such, just a little sore.

also, make sure you choose your jewellery carefully. decide on a barbell or a ring and make sure you are 100% happy with that choice. you cannot change your jewellery until 6 months after the piercing.

last but not least, don't do it until you are 110% sure you want to. it's not as bad as people make it out to be. it took me 4 years to get the courage to get it done. i'm glad i did because i love my piercing, i love my jewellery (a flower barbell) and it wasn't half as bad i thought it would be.

good luck!

p.s. i think mine's sexy!! do it for yourself, not for anyone else. if someone you meet is going to judge you over a body piercing, you don't really want to know them anyway. do it if YOU think it looks good.