Topic :"Silent laugter is a dog's best-kept secret"

I took it from TIME.CO.UK.

From Katty kay in Washington.

Dog lovers may have suspected it all along, but now it is official --dogs can laugh. Not only laugh, but giggle, chuckle and even titter

Although we humans cannot hear our beloved pets guffawing as they romp around the garden, that noise they make as they ransack the flowerbed is laughter.

But owners who think their pets laugh at their jokes may be disappointed. Scientists have found only that dogs respond to the sound of laughter, not the substance behind it. " To the untrained human ear, it sound like a part, a 'huh,huh" ,explained Patricia Simonet, author of the study and a psychologist at Sierra Nevada College

Professor Simonet conducted her experiment by standing around in parks with a powerful microphone taping dog hubbub. Not an easy task. The dogs were perfectly co-operative--but the human beings hampered the recording by continually asking what she was up to. Professor Simonet found that dog use at least four sound patterns; bark, growls, whines and laughs. Most use all four, but only the laugh is reserved for playtime

This dog humor is a sophisticated business. Do not expect to elicit a full-bodied whoop with a feeble joke. Man's best friends different things funny in different ways. Professor Simonet analysed the frequency of her recording and found a huge range of nuance and tone. Unfortunately these subtleties are lost on human since the frequency is beyond our ears.

Key to the experiment was testing how dogs respond simply to the noise of other dogs laughing. Professor Simonet played the " huh huh" sound, one by one, to a group of 15 puppies. On hearing the broadcast they picked up toys and romped for joy. Growls brought no response.

What do you think to this topic??

I agree with everything you said and what you have read and observed.

When I was younger, my collie did my homework for me and covered for me while I snuck out in the night to meet Mary, who lived three blocks away.

I always got great grades on my homework. Both Lassie and myself laughed loudly as we were the only two in the world who knew that we had fooled Mrs. Crabtree and that it was Lassie, and not me, who had done the homework.

On the other hand, my dog snitched on me one time when I took a Tootsie Roll and some jawbreakers from the Seven-Eleven without paying. I was mad a hell and the dog laughed aloud from a distance while I was getting my can clobbered by my dad.

Never reveal secrets to someone who can bite you harder than you can bit him/her.

I hate dogs who never take anything serious. I tried to teach my dog to fetch the paper from near the road every morning and bring it to the front door. The dog kept laughing as if to say, "Yeah, right you fool. Get your own damned newspaper."