Is my boss a racist? A bit off topic question

"Barbra Streisand"

"Barbra Streisand"

Last week I called the head boss of the company who a Jew from Yugoslavia, but only he and I know this, where I work in a telemarketing firm to tell him I was feeling depressed and didn't feel up to coming into the office that day because I knew I wouldn't make many sales. He told me there was no problem and I could stay at home that day.

Today when I got in the other boss, Amid, who is hired by the Yugoslavian yelled at me for not showing up on Friday. I told him that I had called Juri, but he didn't believe me. He said I was to take my things and leave, just like that!

I told him to calm down and we would talk this over later, but he got even more angry and told me not to tell him what to do that this would be my last day. Juri told me quietly that everything would be okay and he would explain to Amid, but after work Amid told me he was finished with me and he didn't want to see me the next day.

I pleaded for him to give me another chance and told him to "please stop doing this to me". In the past, Amin always joked with me and appreciated my off-beat personality, so I figured I could always speak to him without being afraid.

Something just snapped this time with Amin because he later started accusing me of not liking Iranians (he is Iranian).

Flabergasted, I said, "What do you mean? I only said I didn't want to call up Iranian names because they hardly ever buy from us!"

"No, you didn't. You said you didn't like Iranians and racism is illegal here. Maybe in your country in Israel it isn't, but here it is!"

(He knows I'm Jewish and that I don't come from Israel)

Then I burst into tears and said, "You're the one who started calling me Barbra Streisand and Woody Allan! I thought I had artistic liscence to be off the wall in this company because you liked that."

Now that I think of it, wasn't he being a bit racist by never calling me by my real first name? Always Barbra or Woody? I thought that was funny and didn't mind, but he is taking things too far. I am afraid to say anything to him now because I don't know what will upset him.

In the end, he didn't let me go, but now I am wondering if I should complain to the head office about being harassed like that. What do you think?

Sorry for the off-topic question, but this has been a horrible traumatic day for me!

Honestly I wouldn't consider him a racist. It was more like just pet names.....maybe he was just having a bad day and blew up and took it out on you. Sounds like you had a pretty good realationship up until that one morning. Possibly miss communcation and he should appologize which he probly wont....most bosses won't lower themselves to thier employees. Just give him some space for a few days and let him approach you next. him make the first move in fixeing the "relationship" what little of one it was and I think complaining to the head office would just make things worse. Give him soething to be really pissed about. But what do I know...Hope things get better for ya

"Barbra Streisand"
Last week I called the head boss of the company who a Jew from Yugoslavia, but only he and I know this, where I work in a telemarketing firm to tell him I was feeling depressed and didn't feel up to coming into the office that day because I knew I wouldn't make many sales. He told me there was no problem and I could stay at home that day. Today when I got in the other boss, Amid, who is hired by the Yugoslavian yelled at me for not showing up on Friday. I told him that I had called Juri, but he didn't believe me. He said I was to take my things and leave, just like that!

I told him to calm down and we would talk this over later, but he got even more angry and told me not to tell him what to do that this would be my last day. Juri told me quietly that everything would be okay and he would explain to Amid, but after work Amid told me he was finished with me and he didn't want to see me the next day. I pleaded for him to give me another chance and told him to "please stop doing this to me". In the past, Amin always joked with me and appreciated my off-beat personality, so I figured I could always speak to him without being afraid. Something just snapped this time with Amin because he later started accusing me of not liking Iranians (he is Iranian). Flabergasted, I said, "What do you mean? I only said I didn't want to call up Iranian names because they hardly ever buy from us!" "No, you didn't. You said you didn't like Iranians and racism is illegal here. Maybe in your country in Israel it isn't, but here it is!" (He knows I'm Jewish and that I don't come from Israel) Then I burst into tears and said, "You're the one who started calling me Barbra Streisand and Woody Allan! I thought I had artistic liscence to be off the wall in this company because you liked that." Now that I think of it, wasn't he being a bit racist by never calling me by my real first name? Always Barbra or Woody? I thought that was funny and didn't mind, but he is taking things too far. I am afraid to say anything to him now because I don't know what will upset him. In the end, he didn't let me go, but now I am wondering if I should complain to the head office about being harassed like that. What do you think? Sorry for the off-topic question, but this has been a horrible traumatic day for me!

I don't think anybody should make a career as a telemarketer in the first place. You have to take too much crap from some of the people you call...you don't need more from your boss.

If you've had good relations with this guy in the past, just forget it and say nothing. If it happens again, just find another job. Being in this kind of atmosphere is not good for your mental health, whether you complain or not.

He was probably just having a bad day. But I wouldn't recommend you taking a lot of days off unless you clear it with every boss you have.