Parents think colourism is the same as racism.

My primary argument with my parents stems from them not realising that colourism is not the same as racism. That I suffer racism, not because I am white, but because of my race, which is not a colour. They think they understand this difference by acknowledging black people as having a different colour without being racist, I do not question the diaspora's claim to identity, but my identity is not white, even though my colour is. How can I engage in interpersonal relationships within the current climate? Thank you.

. How can I engage in interpersonal relationships within the current climate?

Find somebody who shares your view of the world.

• Author
White is both a race and a color. Your parents are correct.

"race" is a racist word because it implies a hierarchy stemming from the verb "to race" i.e. compete in a line.

White is not my race, it is not my father's race, being Middle Eastern on old maps and also genetically speaking, but Occupied-European politically, and independent culturally, I have some melanin, not much, but more than Europeans, my colour is off white, my father's history is one of being colonised by the four corners of the globe, white may be my colour, but it is not my race, though personally I am mixed, half-white. I accept that white is a race, just as I accept that whites are racist, neither apply to me except broadly speaking to describe my hue. Calling me Asian ignores my colour. Europe is an old word of the Gods. America means what?

Wallysbears

Have you spoken to your doctors about this? Could deep diving into this be part of your illnesses? Or not understanding what your family says? Your posts have been rather all over the place and as a reader, I worry for you a bit that you aren't getting all the help you need.

• Author
Have you spoken to your doctors about this? Could deep diving into this be part of your illnesses? Or not understanding what your family says? Your posts have been rather all over the place and as a reader, I worry for you a bit that you aren't getting all the help you need.

Most doctors in Britain are aware of my condition because of the historical ties, I have been under treatment for many years, but for the most part the drugs have been developed in America, without awareness of the specific needs of my genetic makeup or indeed brain chemistry, let alone my body as a whole, my family is ready to disown me for my behaviour, but is always supportive of my right to live as I have been endowed.

As the world diversifies genetics do play a larger role in proper treatments. I wish I had a better answer for you. But keep persevering. Also try dating women who find your special blend exotic & enticing. Play to your difference rather than trying to conform.

• Like 1