Biracial babies and how to take care of them.

BlondeSusane

I was due to give birth to my son a week ago but since I'm still waiting I wonder if any of you have advise on taking care of biracial children? Two of my friends have had biracial girls in the last year and neither of them seem to know how to take care of their hair, I'm having a son so I think I'll just keep his hair cut short. I was also wondering about skin color. I'm fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes but my boyfriend is a very dark African American. Will our son be somewhere in between, or will he take after his father? I've heard that they're more likely to take after their father.

Typically you will have a baby with more African American features like Tiger Woods.

When they are a kid the care is the same.

When they are old enough to know their identity and have friends, be their steadfast rock. Never let them be bullied or think less of themselves because of being biracial. Let your little one be proud of both races. Never let a friend put them down for being biracial.

• Like 1

Your son could range in color from your complexion to the fathers complexion. Your complexion is unlikely but possible.

I have three biracial children. My first is very light and has green eyes. My daughter is much darker but has really fair hair. My youngest is still a toddler so I'm not sure what he will end up being.

None of my kids are the same complexion but are all carbon copies of each other.

Hair? Well it can also vary greatly. Careful not to over wash. Washing too much will strip the natural oils and cause it to break off.

Honestly, my kids haven't faced any racism. So I'm not sure that will be a huge issue...Howe being a black man who has faced racism, one incident is plenty or too much.

major_merrick

You could end up with anything, but more likely your kid will look more black than white. However, interesting mixes happen. One of my coworkers is black, with the brightest gray eyes I've seen in a long time. Likewise, two of my husband's children with other partners (Hispanic) have light hair and blue eyes, even though both parents have brown eyes. I'm still waiting to see who my daughter ends up resembling. The women in my family have strong genes, and my sister and I look very similar to our mother and grandma.

As for hair, I have no advice. Does your partner have any female relatives you can ask?

I am white and my bf is black, I've learn to do braids and twists in his hair on youtube! after 3 years I am a pro now. You'll do fine!

• Like 1

I'm not sure why your children's appearance is so important to you. Who cares what they look like as long as they are healthy?

As for hair care, look into the Mixed Chicks line. You may also want to visit a black hair salon and ask for some pointers there.

RideTheLightening
I was due to give birth to my son a week ago but since I'm still waiting I wonder if any of you have advise on taking care of biracial children? Two of my friends have had biracial girls in the last year and neither of them seem to know how to take care of their hair, I'm having a son so I think I'll just keep his hair cut short. I was also wondering about skin color. I'm fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes but my boyfriend is a very dark African American. Will our son be somewhere in between, or will he take after his father? I've heard that they're more likely to take after their father.

From a genetic standpoint, he will most likely take a bit more after you. However, from a society standpoint most people will view him as black and all the things that come with that designation.

Most differences between people are cultural. What culture he identifies with is up to you and the father... provided you both stay in his life.

You'll have to kind of see what the situation is and then groom him/her according to how other kids in their own age group are groomed so they don't stand out one way or the other. But the most important thing is to really keep them exposed to both cultures so they can fit in either one. You've seen a lot of Asian guys on here raised Americanized who can't bear to date an Asian girl. You don't want to homogenize your kid to the point he rejects one culture or the other.

I dont think how one is raised has anything to do with who they are attracted to. Some black men only date white girls, some white men only date asian women, some hispanic men only date black girls. Nothing to do with how you are raised. Everyone is different, and has different ideas on attractions. Ya like who ya like.

You and the baby's father determine skin tone via the genes you contribute. How you both look is really only the tip of the iceberg - what's more important is the diversity of genes you have, and which ones your son inherits from you both.

Think of it this way... there are six loci that comprise skin tone, and you and and the father contribute one gene copy to each. Your bf may have some lighter skin tone genes due to mixed heritage in his family history (not uncommon for African Americans) that could end up in the mix. How light or dark the baby is along the continuum of possibilities is determined by the combination. There's actually no such thing genetically as a dichotomous 'black' or 'white'; that's a social construct.

There are different genetic determinants for other features. Eyes for example are determined by two sets of genes, with brown being dominant. But again... It's possible your son could have blue eyes if your bf has a recessive blue gene.

My Mum is of mixed heritage (Asian, Melanesian and Mediterranean) and my Dad was white (of English and French descent). My brother and I are obviously siblings; however he is darker than I in both hair colour and complexion, my hair is riotously curly whereas his has just a slight wave, and he has blue eyes to my brown.

We both married blue-eyed blondes. My daughter has brown eyes, mid-brown curly hair and a porcelain white complexion (much to her chagrin). My brother's children are all quite tan with light brown wavy hair; two have blue eyes and one brown.

I love genetics. Geneticists will tell you there is actually no such thing as 'race'. We are all just unique products of our ancestors genes in varying combinations.

You'll work out what to do with his hair. More importantly, love him lots and look after him well. And let him know that race is just a made up construct that needn't confine him and that he can be proud of his mixed ethnicity.

Good luck with the birth!

Edited by SolG
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author

I gave birth on December the 15th, my son takes after his father in almost every way. His skin tone is just about as dark as his fathers who is very dark and my boyfriends tells me that he will get darker as he grows. I thought that since my skin was so fair he would be lighter but I guess not. I'm just glad that he's healthy!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
quote removed
  • Like 1