SIL's friend won't stop

AlexMG

My SIL Natalie's friend Jenn won't stop.It is about my 5 year old son's choice of his Halloween costume.I took him shopping for this a couple weeks ago and he picked out a cheerleader costume for a girl.I was for it a couple weeks ago and I see him 100% happy with his choice.He did try it on and I see he looks good in it.Jenn,she went off and said he needed to pick out a better costume.I was mad at her and he cried hearing it.I told her butt out and this is his choice.I did comfort him about it.I see him happy and all we have left is do something with his long hair to his shoulder which he loves.I have had enough including Natalie with Jenn doing this to him

You are being a great & supportive dad. Even if Natalie & Jenn are saying something because they don't want your son to get picked on by other kids & they are afraid for him, point out that they are being hurtful. Then keep him away from them.

Don't let Jenn around him anymore, and if you suspect the SIL of sharing the same feelings, have a talk with her. Tell her there will be no gender shaming. I hope your son goes full Britney -- well, maybe not full Britney.

• Author
You are being a great & supportive dad. Even if Natalie & Jenn are saying something because they don't want your son to get picked on by other kids & they are afraid for him, point out that they are being hurtful. Then keep him away from them.

Mom,I let him explore things about him.Jenn came over and we did talk.She overreacted and apologized.

• Author

Plus Natalie is supportive and on my side of this.I am raising him like a normal boy and teaching him to be himself.It was even something new recently he started to like,nail polish.Natalie loves doing her nails and he liked the dark blue nail polish she is wearing at the moment.This was Thursday and she did his nails this same color on Saturday.I watched and saw he loved it

I don’t think it was that person’s place to make an issue out of it but, if my son had made a choice like that, i would’ve talked him out of it. It’s a strange choice and something that he’ll probably get picked on about. And, yes, we need to teach our children the importance of individualism but also knowing how to appropriately function in society. I think you’re sending the wrong message to your son.

I don’t think it was that person’s place to make an issue out of it but, if my son had made a choice like that, i would’ve talked him out of it. It’s a strange choice and something that he’ll probably get picked on about. And, yes, we need to teach our children the importance of individualism but also knowing how to appropriately function in society. I think you’re sending the wrong message to your son.

What exactly makes a boy who likes a cheerleader costume ill-equipped to function in a society?

It's 2018, times are changing and people are (thankfully) less and less concerned about social norms. I know that in my daughter's school, no one would bat an eyelid at a boy dressed as a cheerleader. And the school has a zero-tolerance policy for bullying of any kind so if he got picked on - there's be serious consequences.

I know that I would personally be mortified and feel like I've failed as a parent if my daughter bullied someone over their choice of costume. I like to think that we are raising our kids to a better standard than that.

• Like 1