nuidity infront of children?

Do you think it is inapropriate for you/your spouse to be naked infront of your children?

And bathing with children?

Courious to hear what people outside the US think

Depends on the age of the child, I think. When my son was a baby and a toddler, there were times when I'm sure he saw me when I was in the middle of getting dressed or something. He really wasn't at an age where he even noticed. Now that he's older, I think it's more appropriate for me to make sure I'm covered up.

I've never taken a bath or anything with him. Even if it was appropriate, Bottom line: kids pee in the tub....no thanks. I love the little guy, but no.

Originally posted by stoneheather

Do you think it is inapropriate for you/your spouse to be naked infront of your children?

And bathing with children?

Courious to hear what people outside the US think

ù

I think that being naked in front of your children can be okay until the children are about 4 years old for both parents, and then it's okay to be naked in front of your child who is the same gender(male/female)as you, until the child begins to feel unconfortable with it.

I wouldn't bathe with them though.

HokeyReligions

Awe! I took both of the kids in the tub with me when they were babies and turned on the jets and we had fabulous bubblebaths! It was a great way of bonding. My husband did this too! A little pee won't hurt! And they didn't do anything else--I don't even know for sure if they peed!

I think after 3 or 4 we stayed covered, but it was no horrendous thing for them to see us naked either. My son saw me once when he was 11 or 12 and he was sitting on the bed waiting for me to come out of the bathroom. I didn't know he was there and the door was not shut tight and the dog walked in the bathroom and I was standing there naked and combing out my hair! I wish I'd had a camera--the look on my son's face was priceless! :laugh:

I don't see a problem with it. I know two women who shower with their daughters. They are like 30 and their daughters are about 6-8 years old. What about nudists?

Nothing to be ashamed of with the human body. It's what you do with it that matters.

I can only say how it was like in my family. My mother, my sister and I were a trio. We would bathe together, as little girls, eat together, talk for hours together, do everything together - mom worked 24/7 and we were constantly trying to catch up :) That and the fact that we had little hot running water - communism, right haha?

I have seen my father in his underwear for the only reason of his not knowing where specific items of him were - couldn't find his socks without my mother in a million years, I'm sure. So he'd get out of his room in the morning with this grumpy face and start looking for whatever it was that he could not find. We were living in a tiny appartment, so it was kind of inavoidable. I was quite old so no problem there. It worked for me, it worked for my sister, but as I said, we didn't really have a choice back then.

I'm not married, I don't have any children, so I would only speculate. But I'll definetely read some books on child psychology to be sure I can provide my child the proper environment.

bluechocolate

I think it depends upon the age of the children - but even then I could see that for some families nudity may never be an issue. Most beaches in Europe and many in the UK allow topless sunbathing so children of all ages and sexes will be seeing breasts - maybe even their own mothers!

I remember as a small child I would sometimes bath with my father - but it wasn't really bathing. He would be having a shower and I would sit in the bathtub getting wet and soapy then he'd make sure I was rinsed off under the shower. I'm talking very young here and it was fun because we never had showers as little kids - always a bath with the brother who was only 11 months older than me. I have two other brothers who are much older and we never bathed together and as soon as we were old enough to bath ourselves ( can't remember that age ) it became a solo activity.

I saw my father naked many, many times as a child because we used to go swimming a lot and one has to get naked in a changing room. But I can't remember ever seeing my mother in the nude.

Sundaymorning

I agree that there is a certain young age in which stopping nudity in front of them is a good idea. Britney Spears once said that she used to walk around the house without clothes and her dad would tell her to go put some on- at what age this was, I am not sure.....but baby look at her skanky self now.

Anyways, seeing a parent naked is disturbing, been there done that. I think it is good to cut it off around age 3 or 4. Sure, see other people naked, but parents? ew.

I wonder what it is that makes it "ew" really. I don't really care to see my parents naked, but what if they fall ill and I have to take care of them, etc. Happened with Gramma... So what is it about that awareness of age 3 or 4 that makes the very bodies that created you, weaned you even, something that should always be covered up? When as an adult you might need to be taking care of your own parents, seeing your spouse, etc, kids. Between 3-4 and adulthood, naked = bad?

If it weren't a big deal to be clothed around kids, I suspect it would be easier to communicate with them all around - especially about sex stuff. Clothes serve as kind of a barrier between us and the world, don't you think? I know when I'm in a really introverted mood I'll wear my sunglasses all day, for instance. We plan our clothes carefully based on the occassion... there's something to that, ya know? When the child is 3 or 4 is it really something about that age and their awareness that makes you cover up or is it something about you and your self-consciousness?

Not that I'm ready for my parents to start going around naked, and what-not, but this contrived modesty is pretty interesting.

• Author
Originally posted by magda

I wonder what it is that makes it "ew" really.

If it weren't a big deal to be clothed around kids, I suspect it would be easier to communicate with them all around - especially about sex stuff. Clothes serve as kind of a barrier between us and the world, don't you think?

I Agree,