daughter asks if we're getting divorced

a little worried

a little worried

I'm apogise because I am sure this has been asked by seomone before, but I can't find any reference to it

My 9 year old daughter (only child) asked my wife and I if we were getting a divroce last night. It was completely out of the blue and we asked her why she thought this. She said cause well yell at each other and argue. Now we do, but no more (honeslty probaly a little less) than avaerage and we told her that.

My question is, do you think that she is picking up on some other ubnderlying reason? For instance, can she sense that something is wrong? Maybe my wife is unhappy? Having an affair? I really don't think so, but I am suprised that she asked the question and just wonder if I am missing something that she sees and I don't.

Thanks for your time

I think it is more likely that one of her friends have parents who are divorced or getting a divorce and it has made her think. And she needs reassurance and thank goodness she felt comfortable enough to ask you about it. Be nicer to your spouse and don't argue in front of your daughter if you can help it. It is very upsetting to some children.

You might ask her why...well I know you already did but you might ask if any of her friends parents are divorced and what she thinks about it.

My daughter used to ask that everytime my wife and I would have an argument. I explained to her that adults, just like kids, don't agree on everything and that we argue too. Or that sometimes one of us does something that makes the other one angry. But that certainly doesn't mean that we don't love each other. I'm sure that the root of it is kid-talk at school by those who have divorced parents or are going thru a divorce. I'm sure that the first thing the kids notice is that mom and dad were always fighting and yelling at each other. Just give her lots of reassurance.

a little worried

You're both absolutely right!

I'd completely forgotten (or just taken for granted) that some of our close friends seperated a year ago and the divorce is just finalising (and we just saw their kids) and another acquaintance (sp?) is getting divorced as well. When it's all around you you don't seem to notice how many people are getting divorced these days, but that is exactly why she was proably asking us about it - thank you for jogging my memory and maing me see what's around us more clearly. They should probably put "how to handle your parents or someone you know getting diverced" into the school curriculum since it is so common these days!

Thanks again :)