attending family event decision???

weebird

My ex's brother in law was lecturing to me at one point when my ex and I were having our problems. His example he used for making a point is interesting and his decision bothered me. I will post the situation used as the example here:

"I have been married for three years and have two baby daughters ages 8 months old and 2 years old. I live in the same city where my in-laws, my wife's entire family, live.

There are two family events going on during the same weekend that I have to decide which one I will go to. The two events are my Aunt's funeral and my Father-in-law's birthday party. They are both on the same day but are too far apart so I can't go to both. Should I

a) go to my Aunt's funeral

or

b) go to my Father-in-law's birthday party

What should I do?"

strive to do both if you were close to your aunt. Attend the funeral, then haul *ss to the birthday party. Because even if you cannot be there the whole time for either, you can be there long enough for both.

otherwise, if you were close to your aunt or her family, go to the funeral. Your FiL should understand that some things outrank a part.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

You won't have another chance to say goodbye to your aunt. You will see your FiL again.

So what was his decision/reasoning?

• Author
Originally posted by MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

You won't have another chance to say goodbye to your aunt. You will see your FiL again.

So what was his decision/reasoning?

His decision was to go to the the FiL's birthday party. The reason he gave is that his blood relatives will "get over it" and that his wife's family are his new family now.

Needless to say, that answer disturbed me...

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Yeah so every guy who gets married has to abandon his blood relatives? huh? he's the disturbed one lol