Disrespected by my own brother

Hey!

My friend was at my home when my little brother suddenly called to say that he’s coming over. He was not there too long and I’m happy for that.

When he arrived the first word he said was that it stinks and my friend agreed. The smell did not came from dirty clothes it came from sweaty socks but that’s normal after I have been walking around in this sunny weather.

Later he asked my friend «is this what you do in your freetime?» almost making it seem like my friend should be ashamed of hanging at my place to play games.

My friend told my brother «ofc not»

They also talked about my tattoo’s since we are going to Japan. He told my friend that I could not swim because of it... which is completely the opposite of what my brother told me.

He told me that they think I’m from Yakuza and when I said that to my brother he just avoided the question.

What is your take on this? I felt awkward talking to my friend after my brother left. If he keeps disrespecting me then my friend would do the same and it’s going to end my friendship with him because of that.

Wearing stinky socks is actually disrespectful to your mate. He clearly likes you enough to tolerate it, but you need to lift your game in terms of what is socially acceptable.

The tattoo thing in Japan is real. It's slowly changing, but you may well experience exclusion because of them. My daughter went a couple of years ago and didn't get a tattoo until she came home - she didn't want to be excluded from the onsens.

• Like 1

Maybe it's time to tell your brother no once in a while, or just pretend not to be home if he texts.