Question about twinless twins?

SuperHeroMan

Do twinless twins that lost their twin in the womb or during infancy still are most likely going to have psychological and emotional problems in their life because of it?

I read stories online of twinless twins who lost a twin due to him or her being stillborn, and they seem to have a lot of psychological and emotional problems in their life because of it.

Elvis Presley is an example of this. He had an identical twin brother that died from being stillborn, and Elvis Presley had a lot of problems in his life.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm very fascinated by twins, and so I'm doing a lot of research about them.

I don't believe it. Twins are connected by growing up together and sharing everything. This closeness is often imposed by parents who have them sleep in the same room, dress the same, and offer then both the exact same gifts, etc. Their connection is man-made. The same goes for those who have lost a twin at birth, it's their parents who've repeated to them stories of their lost twin-soul, they were conditioned from birth to believe something was missing.

• Like 1
Do twinless twins that lost their twin in the womb or during infancy still are most likely going to have psychological and emotional problems in their life because of it?

I read stories online of twinless twins who lost a twin due to him or her being stillborn, and they seem to have a lot of psychological and emotional problems in their life because of it.

Elvis Presley is an example of this. He had an identical twin brother that died from being stillborn, and Elvis Presley had a lot of problems in his life.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm very fascinated by twins, and so I'm doing a lot of research about them.

If you're doing research, you're probably more informed than us.

Also, be careful of the Elvis thing. It's a sample of one....and correlation does not equal causation.

My son is friends with a young man who is a twin, his twin committed suicide about 5 years ago (they were 14 at the time). The remaining twin has been in trouble with the law since his brothers death. He is constantly saying he deeply misses his brother. Very sad.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I'm a twin and I'd be devastated if something happened to her. However, I agree with Gaeta that we are connected by growing up together. We can often "read each other's minds" when we're in the same space (or I guess even participating in the same conversation on social media), but it's only because we grew up with the same exact experiences and influences so we often have the same reactions or certain things trigger the same memories....since we have the same memories up to a certain point in our lives. It's not because of some kind of cosmic connection. She lives across the country from me now, and when she gets a migraine, I do not feel it ;).

FYI, we have also been a part of a twin study through a university for many years. So, I'd have to agree with you, OP, twins are fascinating ;) ;).

• Like 1

You would need to actually interview these twins in person and take a complete history of their childhood, their parents, background, etc. I can tell you that sometimes when a parent loses a twin and one survives, the parent sometimes projects their grief, anger etc onto the other and over the course of their lives. They sometimes also have sort of an iatrogenic survivor's guilt but that is also a projection from one or both parents usually.

Anyway, you can't study without face to face interviews and history at some point. There are lots of interesting stories though.

Interesting ...

Here's the thing: any sibling who has a sibling die young feels a traumatic loss. Doesn't have to be a twin.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. But, there is evidence that a baby who has an older sibling who passes away, that the baby responds to the parents grief, feels their grief, and becomes less interactive or behaves a little differently. Again, it's the parents that are projecting and the baby senses something is off at least. They may also have separation anxiety of sorts because the sibling is no longer around. Like when mom or dad leaves, the baby is fussy, etc. And, the baby would have to be a few months old at least. A very young baby who hasn't had much time to experience the environment wouldn't respond that way except if it's the primary caregiver who is unavailable. It's a very difficult theory to prove. Most parents aren't going to allow a researcher to sit in their homes waiting for the subject criteria of the study to present themselves.

• Like 1

I was simply making the point that you can be 15 ... and if your sister/brother of 14 dies, it's a trauma that will disrupt your life and stay with you throughout your life.

• Like 1

My daughter was a twin that I lost early into my pregnancy.

She’s had some emotional difficulties but I attribute that more to her being a preemie with an absentee father for mostly all her life.

She’s also a very sensitive person.

• Like 1
I was simply making the point that you can be 15 ... and if your sister/brother of 14 dies, it's a trauma that will disrupt your life and stay with you throughout your life.

Oh, sure, yes that's a difficult thing for a kid.

My step mother's eldest brother was a twinless twin. His twin died of cot death when they were 9 months old. He never knew until he was about 30- and then he was really angry- estranged himself from his parents for about 20 years saying how he had always been affected by it and he thought he was going mad until he was told.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my close friends is a twinless twin and she's alright. She's about equally as depressed as any of my other non-twinless twin friends...

Yes, the twins are always strongly connected with each other. They have a strong spiritual connection.

• 1 month later...

Yes I'am one and i can tell you for me it has, however not everyone is the same.