Why are older bros more protective of their sis than younger bros are?

SuperHeroMan

SuperHeroMan

Throughout my life, of all the brother and sister relationships I have seen, it's always seems like a older brother is way more protective of his little sister than a younger brother is to his older sister (especially when it comes to sisters dating boys).

It seems like it's way more easier for a boyfriend to get away with his girlfriend's younger brother than it is with her older brother.

So why do older brothers tend to be way more protective of their younger sisters than younger brothers are to their older sisters?

That's because the older siblings are usually given the responsibilty of taking care of the younger kids and they take this attitude with them through life. Brothers are naturally protective of their sisters and vice versa. What's the problem with that?

• Like 1
  • Author
SuperHeroMan

There's no problem with that. I'm just wondering why older brothers are way more protective of younger sisters than younger brothers are to older sisters.

I am the eldest of 3 bothers and they are all protective of me. It's the way my dad raised them. Of course when I was 20 and my youngest brother was 6 years old I was protective of him but now that I am 52 and he's 39 the roles have reversed.

Penguin_hugs

My boyfriend is the oldest of his siblings- and he has a very caring attitude towards his siblings. He has 1 brother who is 6 years younger and they are very close. He says he tries to act like a best friend- but I can really see how protective he is. He has a half brother too- who is 21 years younger than him and they obviously never grew up around each other- but he definitely takes on a caring, almost uncle like role with him too.

I wonder if it is just a trait of elder siblings. I'm an only child so I have never had that experience.

I was chatting with his mum when I first met her and she told me he had always been selfless and put the needs of his siblings before his own desires.

I'd say this nature even extends to me a bit. He really looks out for me- similarly to a big brother I guess.

because they feel responsible for the sister in front of their parents. and forward. The older brothers turn to their younger sisters as their children.