LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

Has anyone had to take away a parent's drivers license?

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2018, 10:38 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I found this article that gives suggestions and there are some comments about it from others who are in your shoes.

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/i...eys-112306.htm

Hopefully you'll find something that can help you out alpha because I'm not gonna be much help here because I'm too sympathetic to old people losing their freedoms.

But if he's hitting stuff maybe it's time
thanks amaysngrace
Old 25th February 2018, 10:44 PM   #17
Established Member

You're welcome alpha. I feel sorry that you're dealing with this.

It stinks but he's lucky to have you looking out for him xo
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 4:46 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
that's a good suggestion as we do share the same primary doctor

yes I can talk with his doctor, I don't know why I didn't think of that, but thanks

The Doctor is the best bet. The doctor can reach out to Motor Vehicles & ask them to take dad's license away. My mom's cardiologist did that. Shortly after he started the process, but before she actually lost the license, she totaled her car. Nobody was hurt Thank Heavens. My dad made a "deal" with the doctor & me. He set me up to be the good guy, advocating to get her license back but he refused to buy her another car.

You do need to have answers to Qs about how your dad will get around without his car / license and how he will get valid ID after he loses his license. If he travels make sure his passport is up to date before he turns in the license. You may have to make arrangements to take him to get groceries & to go to all of his doctor's appointments.

If no one answered your Q, a Silver Alert, is like a Amber alert for seniors. With kids it's usually that somebody took them, often a non-custodial parent but with Senior's it is that they wandered off & couldn't remember how to get back. If that is a real problem you don't have to resort to flashing highway signs but you can get a med-alert type bracelet with a chip, like lo-jack so you can find him if he wanders off. I don't hear you saying that is an issue but know it's out there.

It is so hard to see our parents age
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 9:22 PM   #19
Established Member

thanks everyone, this was a big help
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote