LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

My father is a raging alcoholic, how do I deal with this

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2017, 8:30 AM   #1

My father is a raging alcoholic, how do I deal with this

I've gotten sick and tired of him and his drunkenness, he's always shouting and swearing at me and my mother, not towards my sister who is 12, but the fact that she's exposed to this is pissing me off. He's a severe alcoholic and its made him lose his job and friends - and now he's taking the anger out on us - and every day I just feel so scared to live in my own home. Who has dealt with this?
alec007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Established Member

Call the police and/or child protective services.

Also start going to Al-Anon meetings & send your 12 year old sibling to Al-Teen meetings. They are support groups for people with family members who are addicts.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2017, 7:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec007 View Post
I've gotten sick and tired of him and his drunkenness, he's always shouting and swearing at me and my mother, not towards my sister who is 12, but the fact that she's exposed to this is pissing me off. He's a severe alcoholic and its made him lose his job and friends - and now he's taking the anger out on us - and every day I just feel so scared to live in my own home. Who has dealt with this?
I understand that dealing with a relative who is an alcoholic can be real difficult. I guess, your father needs a professional help since behavior is a big problem already.
homesickclutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2017, 9:48 AM   #4
Established Member

I did. He didn't live long - one day he just dropped dead as a consequence of the liver damage. Which is sad because he was extremely strong and would have probably lived 30+ years more if he didn't self-poisoned with alcohol.

How old are you? I just fled away from home, never turned back, as soon as I was independent enough to do it. I'm so glad I did. I have my dream life, and all the drama, abuse etc is just a blurred image in the distant past.

Life is in front of you but you need to remove yourself, and ideally your relatives from this toxic household.

Quote:
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2017, 2:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
I did. He didn't live long - one day he just dropped dead as a consequence of the liver damage. Which is sad because he was extremely strong and would have probably lived 30+ years more if he didn't self-poisoned with alcohol.

How old are you? I just fled away from home, never turned back, as soon as I was independent enough to do it. I'm so glad I did. I have my dream life, and all the drama, abuse etc is just a blurred image in the distant past.

Life is in front of you but you need to remove yourself, and ideally your relatives from this toxic household.
I live with my sister who is 12 and my mother, I cant leave them alone with him there, just not an option. he's strong and intelligent as well, except alcohol is destroying him mentally and physically.
alec007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 9:55 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
I live with my sister who is 12 and my mother, I cant leave them alone with him there, just not an option. he's strong and intelligent as well, except alcohol is destroying him mentally and physically.
You can try with AlAnon but I don't think this will be a permanent solution. Is there a chance for your sister to go to boarding school? IME the only way to completely recover from such a toxic situation is to physically remove from it, but I understand you may need more time to do it to get your mom and sister out. You can talk openly with your mom about it all: she's probably more concerned than you... I'm not sure you're helpful to her being there - you just all are in the same sinking ship, one needs to step out at some point and quite possibly it has to be you because your sister is too young and your mom is likely too codependent.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote