Mom making me feel guilty about living so far away

starzarebrite37

starzarebrite37

I am an only child, and I live about 5 hrs away from my parents. When I was growing up, my parents encouraged me to go to a college in my hometown so that I could live with them. When I wanted to get an apartment in college with one of my friends, they told me I couldn't. They made me feel terrible about wanting to move out, and asked me if I hated them. It was terrible.

Now I am almost 30, and I am married and have my own house. I have to talk to my mom first thing in the morning, and then she calls later on to see "what I am doing". She always mentions how much she misses me, and how I wish I didn't live so far away. I must admit, it makes me feel terrible. I do feel guilty. It is hard for me to go and visit her often. I haven't seen her since Christmas, and I feel horrible. Sometimes, I just feel like a terrible daughter, and I cry so hard about it.

I just wanted to vent, but I love her dearly and I understand what she is going through.

Edited by starzarebrite37
BOREDouttaMymind

"Mom I love you so much. when you say things like that it makes me feel like a terrible daughter"

..see what she says. if she turns it around on you like its your fault... then shes the type of mom that runs children through guilt.

(not bashing mom. just saying it does happen quite often).