Not sure if my cousin is suffering from depression or a personality disorder

Peace&Love

My cousin has started behaving very oddly in recent months. We practically grew up together so I know her very well. She used to be very outgoing, laid back, reliable, open, and friendly. In the past year or so, she's become very controlling, obsessive, flaky, catty, and introverted.

An example of her odd behavior: She went on a sugar-free diet because she thought she was too fat (she's not fat at all). She was pretty obsessive about it, avoiding all candy, chocolate, and desserts. About a month later when I asked her how her diet was going she denied going on a diet at all. I thought that was really weird... :confused:

In recent weeks, I've been hearing from her less and less. She's stopped making plans, going out, and socializing. A couple of our mutual friends expressed their concern to me, too. Most of the time, she won't return our calls, text messages, and emails. Whenever one of us gets in touch with her she's very snippy and rude. When we ask her what she's been up to, she just says she's been very busy but won't fill us in on any details.

I've backed off a lot because I don't want to keep pushing her. She won't tell any of us what's wrong and I'm pretty sure she has no idea she's acting weird. What do you think it is and how should I approach it?

My cousin has started behaving very oddly in recent months. We practically grew up together so I know her very well. She used to be very outgoing, laid back, reliable, open, and friendly. In the past year or so, she's become very controlling, obsessive, flaky, catty, and introverted.

An example of her odd behavior: She went on a sugar-free diet because she thought she was too fat (she's not fat at all). She was pretty obsessive about it, avoiding all candy, chocolate, and desserts. About a month later when I asked her how her diet was going she denied going on a diet at all. I thought that was really weird... :confused:

In recent weeks, I've been hearing from her less and less. She's stopped making plans, going out, and socializing. A couple of our mutual friends expressed their concern to me, too. Most of the time, she won't return our calls, text messages, and emails. Whenever one of us gets in touch with her she's very snippy and rude. When we ask her what she's been up to, she just says she's been very busy but won't fill us in on any details.

I've backed off a lot because I don't want to keep pushing her. She won't tell any of us what's wrong and I'm pretty sure she has no idea she's acting weird. What do you think it is and how should I approach it?

She could be bipolar. She could be going through a rough time or preoccupied with something that is upsetting her. You could kindly suggest that you are concerned about her, because she is not acting like herself, and ask her to confide in you about if she's going through a rough time. She may be willing to elaborate. If she does seem to be losing it or not dealing with life, or having issues that can't be talked out, you may want to suggest she talk to a counselor, because she is not acting like herself and you are concerned about her.

She very well could be bi polar. One of the signs is closing yourself off from family and friends. I was diagnosed with it about a year ago, I went to a Dr. for anxiety problems and was hit with that. I'd talk to her about seeing a counselor and since they are expensive you might be able to find a local university that sends patients to doctors doing their internships. I found a university with a program, helped me understand myself a little better.

Also, I hate to put this in your head but have you considered that she might be abusing drugs?

Edited by Paper Roses
typo