My sister continually stands me up and blames me for it.

Sugarkane

Ever since my sister brokeup with her boyfriend she been really moody, even though she was the dumper. I've been depressed lately and been going through a bad time. I asked her to go out clubbing etc. We made plans but then she stood me up. She went out to a friends and never came home. But she blamed everything on me. I'm sick and tired of her walking all over me. She would never stand up a friend though. What should I do?

• Author

We had a huge fight and she said "how dare you say that to me". WTF? I'm sure if I stood her up, she would be screaming her lungs out at me.

• Author

And she always has my parents wrapped around her finger. If I did this to her, my parents would make me apologise to her and go out with her. But when its me, they don't care at all.

• 2 weeks later...
And she always has my parents wrapped around her finger. If I did this to her, my parents would make me apologise to her and go out with her. But when its me, they don't care at all.

The way you're describing it, she sounds like the dominant one between the two of you. When somebody has that domineering approach, it's easy to think other people care about/like them more because of the way they pander to them. Sometimes the pandering is only happening because people are "giving in to" that person for the sake of a quiet life.

Whatever the reasons for the inequitable treatment from your parents, it seems clear that you're going to have to learn to sort out issues with your sister without their input...and learning to do that is going to make you a stronger, more independent person in the long run.

We had a huge fight and she said "how dare you say that to me". WTF? I'm sure if I stood her up, she would be screaming her lungs out at me.

Well I can understand you not wanting to use her as a role model for how you should react to this. A fury who's screaming her lungs out isn't a cool, in control adult. If that's how she reacts to conflict, then the matter of advising you on how you should handle it in order to be the cooler and more competent adult is very easy. Keep calm and make your point politely.

The difficult part is, of course, putting that into practice. If you've been feeling depressed lately, then very likely you are also feeling anxious as the two are often closely related. When you're feeling anxious and low, dealing with difficult and antagonistic people is a particular test....but it's certainly not impossible.

Here's a short article that might be helpful to you

http://stress.about.com/od/relationships/ht/difficult.htm

• Author

I'm very frustrated and my parents sheer favouritism really annoys me. And they say that they treat us equally, yeah right.

Eddie Edirol

Your sister continutally stands you up? Then stop asking her to go out with you. Stop calling on her, let her call on you. Find someone else to help you cope with your depression. Its obvious that when she stands you up, she doesnt want to go with you. Also, when you let her stand you up, then keep asking her out, she knows she can still stand you up with no consequences. Your sister doesnt want to go out with you, so stop asking her. She prolly has her own agenda to deal with since she might be depressed over her bf, and going out with you doesnt help that at all. So leave her alone. Find a friend that treats you like a sister.

• Author

I don't know what happened. We used to be close. I went through a really hard time and she wasn't even there for me. But whenever my sister wants something my parents yell and swear at me to help her. But if its me they never say a word to her.