unemployed bro, does nothing

brotherskeeper

brotherskeeper

I'm worried about my brother. He finished college over a year ago and he still hasn't found a job!!! The job market where we live is really tight, there aren't many positions open in his field of studies.

We're worried because he doesn't do much, just hang around the house, watch soaps, etc. he's almost regressed into a teenager in some ways.

Also, we can see that he's pretty worried about not working. I think he's looking for a meantime job now, at least he'll be earning something and getting out of the house, but he's even putting that off. When we ask, he's just vauge "I'm applying, and I haven't heard back". I think he didn't look for a meantime job earlier because he didn't expect to be out of work for soo long. Are any of you coping with a not-by-choice non-worker?

I feel bad for him, 'cause I think he feels like he's a failure for not being able to find a job, even though it's something that's out of his control.

dalmatianbaby

Both my brother and my husband had the exact same problem. It's tough, it really is. They both went to great schools, had fabulous grades...and still nothing. There wasn't much I could do about my brother's situation, because I was he lived quite a stretch away. As for my hubby, I was very supportive for the first year, but after a while, it was really hard on both of us. He was thoroughly depressed, meanwhile, I was pulling the slack financially and trying to be his personal cheerleader. It is very hard to watch, because you see someone you love slipping deeper and deeper into a sense of hopelessness. What eventially worked with my husband was a dose of tough love. It was getting to a point where his "I just don't care anymore" attitude was really beginning to damager our marriage. I finally had to tell him that I couldn't handle it anymore. He needed to go out there and make a job his...and I'll be darned if he didn't have a fantastic job 3 DAYS later!!!! After a while, all the support in the world doesn't help...try giving him a little kick in the pants. He needs "help" getting motivated at this point.

I hope this helps.

Dalmatianbaby

I just graduated with an engineering degree last May. Unlike your brother, I keep myself busy with work. Tell your brother he needs to get a job till he starts his career. I had no choice, I have bills and rent to pay...so I'm waitressing till I get hired into something better. Your brother is lucky somebody feels sorry enough for him to support him, but that's gotta end and he's gotta start making a living even if it is at a low paying job.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same position.. I've been home since April 1st.. I did some work since then, but only on a project basis. Most companies in the netherlands can't hire people right now because of hiring-freezes.

I've applied for about 150 jobs during the last 2 months.. so far I've only had 6 reactions, of which 0 were succesful.

On top of that, all the easy jobs (even the crappy ones) are taken. Unemployment has never been this high.. can't wait what those A.Q. terrorist guys have in store for us on Sept 11 this year.. hope its nothing bad.. or a lot of innocent people die or end up homeless, without money on the streets because of the wrecked economy... :(

Luckily for me, I'm 23 and don't have a house to pay for, and a dad who can still stand me around the house ;)