Rage problems

AngelWings10

AngelWings10

Hey,

I don't know if anyone will read this but I really hope someone will. Recently my brother and his wife have seperated she has moved out and has been living with her parents, they have a 2 year old daughter to whom I am extremely close with. My mum has bought her up and has been looking after her whilst her parents work which means we are all extremely attached to her. My sis in law and brother have been married since September 2006, and since the start of their marriage they have had problems. They have been seperated for over 2 months now, and we have hardly been seeing my niece she comes every so often. When they did seperate the two families spoke and tried to sort it out as they both refused to see eachother anyway we discovered that he has repeadetly abused her both mentally and physically and now she suffers from severe depression. We all now that my brother is an extremely angry person and hates been undermined but that is no excuse! Im so angry at him he claims to be a person of God but thats not religion. I come from a Arab background but we are not that traditional and dont believe in patriarchy as most people would think my culture is associated with; anyway i am writing this as earlier on he got so angry because he was waiting for my sister to come home as he wanted to borrow her car. He def. suffers from rage he got so angry and threatning infront of my niece as shes staying with us this week, she started crying and so did I because I dont want her to see horrible things like that. I love my brother but im on the verge of hating him right now, he was so threatning to my mum and dad which I find so disrespectful since they do so much for him. I want to suggest that he goes to see a psychologist but I dont know how he will react. My niece seems to already have an 'anger problem' and now I know where she is learning it from, i'm so upset and worried for everyone including my mum and dad dont want this to depress them. I dont know what to do

Peaceful Guy

im sorry, and i cant really be of much help here but i do have a small suggestion. try to find some fun activities for you and your niece to do together. maybe you could go to the pond to feed the geese.. or maybe go play putt-putt.. or something.. color together, read her a book.. :)

I would say that it would be good to provide as much support to sis in law as possible. Have a family meeting without your bro and decide how you are ALL going to jointly stand up to him. Then let him know that NONE of you will stay silent for a moment longer regarding his abusiveness... even if this means that you involve the Police.

His only option really is to seek help for his anger but prepare yourslf for him refusing to do this. As a family ban him from coming to the house even if you have to.

As for the little one, read up on play therapy ideas and help her to draw and play nicely. Give her lots of affection and protect her no matter what happens.

Your bro sounds like a complete dick at the mo. He needs a good telling.. :mad:

Take care,

Eve xx