Starting to get depressed after family welfare drama

hoping2heal

hoping2heal

Well, My nephew was born April 5th with what we now know is Fanconi syndrome. As a result he has many birth defects; some much more serious than others. He was born with just 1 kidney, his esophagus is not attatched to his stomach, there is no perforation where his anus is so he has to use a colastomy bag for now. He has some other physical deformities as well. He has no thumbs or forearms - his hands are bent in and attatched at the elbow, his toes are not properly aligned. Those of course are not life threatening.

We have now learned that my healthy nephew who is 2 needs to be tested because he may have some form of this syndrome that will lead to bone cancer in time.

My sister is very young (20) and immature even for a 20 year old. The children's father and her live together and he is almost 40, with felonies, no job and is both an active drug user and drug dealer. He has blamed this entire event on my sister - saying the genetics were all her fault and he has rejected the baby. Even going so far as to mock his hands and say derogatory remarks about him.

My sister just makes excuses for his behavior; well on Monday we contacted Child protective services as my healthy nephew was left outside wondering on his own; naked while his father was passed out inside of the house. My father also reported the baby's dad for doing drugs in front of my 2 year old nephew and dealing drugs from his house in my father's presence.

CPS has told us they are making arrangements to remove my nephew from the home. I have a really special bond with the newborn nephew; the night they believed he was dying I held his hand and sang/read to him for an hour and a half or so and after that his health condition turned completely around. He is in the metro city 4 hours away - I was down there along with my mother to take care of my sister and help as she had just had c- section surgery and the baby's father refused to come up there and see the baby or care for my sister.

I have been back home since Monday because there wasn't room for everyone up there and my sister finally convinced the baby's dad to come up and be with her. She's been acting very rude and entitled since. Today I found out that (surprise surprise!) the baby's dad who just got there Yesterday wants to come back already, apparently my sister is coming home with him. So no one will be up at the children's hospital with my nephew now?

I know this is long but I am feeling so depressed over this situation. I feel so terrible for my nephew's - anyone who knows me can tell you that those little boys are like my own. In fact - the 2 year old often times calls me mom - and I have to correct him (no, I am auntie not mom). I have been the one to get him to all his appts. etc etc. I have never tried to take my sister's place as their mother but I am very attatched to both boys.

Is there some kind of online support group of other women maybe going through what I am or something? I really don't want to just be put on a pill - I want to feel better and I can just tell this is really taking it's toll on me. I feel so very alone in this and depressed.