Inter religion

nehaconf

Hi

I am an Indian where religion and society r very important for parents but nowadays the trend is quite changing. I love a guy of different religion, I have been in this relation for more than 17 months and I find the guy very intelligent, dependable, caring, loving who is a perfect partner. My parents have said that if i want to marry him, they wont keep any relation with me. I am very sad becoz I feel that the bondin between my parents is so weak that it will break if i marry a person which is not of their choice. they r saying they hv got a prb wid his religion everything else is fine, they r worried about their name in society. I cant elope with him bt i also cant leave my parents. Pls tell me how shud I convince them. I am nt concerned about society. My mom starts crying wen i talk about this, starts behaving in a hyper way and says she will die if i do so. SHould I be afraid of this behaviour or should i stick to my point as i really love him and he is just too perfect and also he too loves me very much, nobody else will keep me happy in this way. My mom n dad r staying together but they dont like each other's nature and they say to me if i go for an arranged marriage, love will automatically come between him n me. They cud nt understand each other in 26 years, how can they be so sure about my marriage.

123BeachFan

Neha,

Do you live in the US (or outside India)? If you live in the US, where it is the norm to marry a person of your chosing (and not the person chosen by your parents), I'd say you might be able to get your parents to turn around. If that's the case, maybe you and your boyfriend continue to date, and your parents warm up to him after seeing his devotion to you and that he's a good mate for their daughter.

If you are in India, I don't have any advice. I have heard (but don't know firsthand), that familial pressure can be very strong in that society.